Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEED for SPEED!...

hey guys/gals...
    Can someone tell me where I can best spend my money on more WHP?
    I think maybe the 18inch chrome wheels are slowing me down. They seem rather heavy. The P215/35ZR18 Tires feel great. The exhaust is 2.5in starting behind the cat.
    What Kind of HP's would a Cold Air Intake bring me? Is it really worth the $300!?
    Looking for some real tips here.
    What about a "chip" is there any merit in those? I'm hoping that this Post brings out some real Tech Tips/Instruction.
    Thanks everyone!
    zoom-zoom!!!

Best thing to do is sit down and start reading these here forums. Where in MA are you?

Comment

no, the 300 is nto worth it, but thats my opinion.

Yes heavy wheels will slow down the car and make the cornering not as much fun as it could be.

Chips are terrible, its a resistor in a box to trick your ecu into dumping more fuel. Not a good way to make more power.

Like Pox said, good info here, just got to search and read.

Oh and welcome
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

^^
        Exactly as Pox and D323 wrote.

Since the useful work performed by the engine is taken from the crankshaft, which is where the torque is also measured, it's necessary to increase the BHP available at that point in order to gain a proportionate increase in WHP. Increasing BHP involves either increasing the engine's IHP, decreasing the FHP (the HP consumed by internal engine friction) or a combination of both.

In general, the most economical route to a performance increase involves mods that don't require engine disassembly such as a less restrictive exhaust system and a freer flowing induction system that is configured to ingest ambient temperature air. These two mods increase volumetric efficiency and reduce FHP. Switching to a true synthetic engine and transmission oil is helpful because of the reduction in FHP. There are many threads on our Forum that discuss these topics in detail. Don't overlook switching from OEM spark plugs to extended tip iridium/platinum types for another potential, though small, increase.

As to what is the best bang for your buck, that really depends on how much you think any given performance increase is worth. Is a CAI worth $300? I personally don't think so as I believe equal or better results can be achieved for a lot less. How much HP would a CAI produce? That's purely speculation and unknowable without a carefully calibrated before and after dyno test.

Utilizing the MP3 chip (used in 2001 MP3s) will yield a small increase in both BHP and torque output. You can find a reference for this mod also.

If you're willing to spend more, and engage in some engine disassembly, high compression pistons, cams, and port work will give you a notable boost.

Some of our Forum members think going turbo gives you the best bang for your buck.

There are really too many references dealing with performance increases for me to list but a search will result in much useful information. You also might want to look in the Tech Section.

The 18" wheels definitely reduce acceleration due to their rotational inertia compared with smaller diameter wheels. Remember, IndyCars use 15" wheels and Formula 1 even smaller.

Happy Motoring!
        02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
        MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
        MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
        Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
        Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
        Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
        Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
        Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
        Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
        Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by Pox View Post
          Best thing to do is sit down and start reading these here forums. Where in MA are you?
          Central Mass near Worcester/Westborough.

Thanks for all your input. I will begin by looking deeper into what is written in these forums.
          Thanks!

Comment

Np, what are you driving? Have any pics of your ride? If you have any more questions let us know.

Comment

Working...
            X