Won't start unless trans is in Neutral?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't start unless trans is in Neutral?

Hello, my sister is having a problem with her 2001 Protege LX 2.0 w/auto transmission where the car won't start unless the transmission is placed in neutral on the automatic selector.

I am thinking that there is a switch or indicator somewhere in the electrical system of the car that should be engaged when the gear selector is in park, but has now failed and does not send a signal in that position any longer.

Can anybody offer some insight as to how I can solve this problem and allow her to start her car in "Park" again?

Originally posted by LabradorBoy View Post
    (snipped)
    Can anybody offer some insight as to how I can solve this problem and allow her to start her car in "Park" again?
    Try the neutral safety switch

Hope this helps

Comment

Can anybody tell me where this is mounted? Under the automatic shifter console maybe?

Comment

I have been looking at part diagrams around the shifter mechanism and I'm not having much luck. Can somebody please tell me where the neutral safety switch is located on the BJ Protege?

Comment

I think It may actually be on the transmission case.
          -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
          VF10 powered!
          262 Whp & 257 Wtq
          13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Got it!

Section 05-17 of the FSM, page 21. It is mounted on the front side of the transmission case, just above the transmission base pan seam.

Thanks, now to find a good used one!

Comment

here its a pic for future reference.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X