Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much boost Can the fs on stock form can handle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much boost Can the fs on stock form can handle!

How much it can handle? with the t25 turbo. with stock internals
    94 lx, custom manifold Mitsubishi 16g (EVO III) turbo, XTD stage 3 clutch kit, strut bar, and 3 inches exhaust free flow. Natural aspired Head and Block, RX7 N/A 440 cc injectors, GTX intake manifold, MS2 V3 (stratifiedauto) , SX Fuel pressure regulator, Front mount intercooler, TD05 16g turbo

To be on the safe side with the FS-DE engine, with stock internals, no more boost than the MSP. Approximately 7 psi, gauge.

Happy Motoring!
    Last edited by goldstar; 12-07-2010, 06:12 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

yea. its really the last mazda motor you want to boost. there one of the weakest physically. and there stock oiling design is horrible. you have more potential boosting a B6. lol
      ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
      ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
      What are you driving?

Comment

so sad they are so beautifull!
        94 lx, custom manifold Mitsubishi 16g (EVO III) turbo, XTD stage 3 clutch kit, strut bar, and 3 inches exhaust free flow. Natural aspired Head and Block, RX7 N/A 440 cc injectors, GTX intake manifold, MS2 V3 (stratifiedauto) , SX Fuel pressure regulator, Front mount intercooler, TD05 16g turbo

Comment

I'm going out on a limb here in guessing that the FS-De engine is the 1.8 correct? If I do decide not to do a V6 swap what other choice do we have? The cost of adding a turbo would be much less then a engine swap I'm guessing on that one. So how else can we get 150ish - 180 WHP from this engine?
          Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

No, the FS-DE engine is the 2.0 L. The FP-DE is the 1.8 L engine (basically a destroked 2.0 L). For more information about 3rd Gen Protege engines, go to:

Happy Motoring!
            Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
            Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

Originally posted by norwood1026 View Post
              If I do decide not to do a V6 swap what other choice do we have? The cost of adding a turbo would be much less then a engine swap I'm guessing on that one. So how else can we get 150ish - 180 WHP from this engine?
              You won't get 150 to 180 BHP through going the normally aspirated route. I can't say whether adding a turbo would cost more or less than doing a V6 engine swap but installing a turbo would put you in the ballpark of where you'd like to be. If you do go the turbo route you'll have to limit yourself to a maximum boost of 7 psi gauge, unless you put in stronger internals, for reasons already stated. However, that should net you around 160 BHP interpolating data from a similarly modified FS-DE engine.

On the other hand, an '02 626 V6 2.5 L (oversquare) engine develops 165 BHP @ 6,000 rpm (123 kW) and 161 lbs/ft torque at 5,000 rpm (218 Nm). Then, you could mod it as a normally aspirated engine for even more. Or, turbo it. Even if you kept the boost down, a BHP output of 200 or more should be readily obtainable. Holy moley.

The choice is yours. I report, you decide.

Happy Motoring!
              Last edited by goldstar; 12-08-2010, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
                You won't get 150 to 180 BHP through going the normally aspirated route. I can't say whether adding a turbo would cost more or less than doing a V6 engine swap but installing a turbo would put you in the ballpark of where you'd like to be. If you do go the turbo route you'll have to limit yourself to a maximum boost of 7 psi gauge, unless you put in stronger internals, for reasons already stated. However, that should net you around 160 BHP interpolating data from a similarly modified FS-DE engine.

On the other hand, an '02 626 V6 2.5 L (oversquare) engine develops 165 BHP @ 6,000 rpm (123 kW) and 161 lbs/ft torque at 5,000 rpm (218 Nm). Then, you could mod it as a normally aspirated engine for even more. Or, turbo it. Even if you kept the boost down, a BHP output of 200 or more should be readily obtainable. Holy moley.

The choice is yours. I report, you decide.

Happy Motoring!
                Yeah after my first couple of post people were telling me maybe 130ish was the most NA I would see out of the 1.8. So I figure in my noob brain another 40ish for a turbo & 30ish with an intercooler added.... MAYBE!
                Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

Originally posted by norwood1026 View Post
                  Yeah after my first couple of post people were telling me maybe 130ish was the most NA I would see out of the 1.8. So I figure in my noob brain another 40ish for a turbo & 30ish with an intercooler added.... MAYBE!
                  130 BHP from a modded normally aspirated 1.8 L sounds about right. I don't think you understand the function of intercooling, however. An intercooler is an essential part of any turbo installation, even under low boost conditions.

Case in point:
                  The MSP delivers 40 BHP more than the normally aspirated version but even with its relatively low boost of ~ 7 psi it requires a factory installed intercooler as part of the system. Without it, the high intake charge temperature, even at that boost level, would lead to dangerous, destructive detonation.

If you want to learn more about turbos, check out this book available from Amazon:
                  Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing and Installing Turbocharger Systems, by Corky Bell

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Working...
                  X