Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best budget build for FS

hello all,
    i was just browsing around and noticed no one really modifies this engine, and i got to thinking is anyone making 300-400hp that didn't dump 5k into the engine ?

my goal is to build my FS as much as i can for under 4k and still make it reliable in the process.

so the question is what products are good and where do i get them.

this project will be done little by little as i don't have 4k just laying around and i also have other projects going on at this time, so a little here and a little there, but i just need to know what all im after.

thanks everyone
    Jessie

I don't think it can be done on that budget, but I would start with a custom long rod setup. I think Weisco still makes the pistons, but I can't remember who does the rods...maybe Eagle Rods. Basically the wrist pin is moved higher on the piston and a longer forged rod is used. This slows down the acceleration/deceleration of the piston at the top and bottom of the stroke. It increases reliability. You might as well start with the internals, especially some type of forged rod as the stock ones will never handle more than about 200 HP and even at that it's a ticking time bomb.

Comment

to do the long rods, you need to use the custom K1 rod's, and matching K1 pistons.
      ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
      ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
      What are you driving?

Comment

what are K1?
        and i planned on working from inside the engine outward last will be bolt-ons.

Comment

there the company that makes the long rod's and matching pistons for the FS.

but dont bother. you have alot more potential, and a much stronger block with the FE3. stick with that build.
          ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
          ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
          What are you driving?

Comment

Originally posted by monoxidechild View Post
            there the company that makes the long rod's and matching pistons for the FS.

but dont bother. you have alot more potential, and a much stronger block with the FE3. stick with that build.
            i planned to stay with the FE3 but i still want to build the FS as well like i said this one would be a little here and a little there.

but as for the FS what about valves, springs, retainers...(head work)?

Comment

Since you want to build from the inside out:

The JDM FS-ZE engine developed 163-168 BHP @ 6,800 rpm with 128-131 lbs/ft torque @ 5,000 rpm. The 10.4:1 CR pistons and the longer duration and greater overlap intake and exhaust cams that engine used are available from Corksport.

Happy Motoring!
              02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
              MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
              MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
              Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
              MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
              Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
              Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
              Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
              Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
              Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
              Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
              Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
              Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

i wouldn't waste your time with the FS. im with pat on this one FE3. higher production numbers, simple modifications, huge potential & for most peoples builds damn near bulletproof right off the factory line
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

the fs is a successor from the fe3, its uses the same girdle setup as well. in the 98+ years, they added oil jets to the fs to help with piston cooling which aides in helping decrease detonation. the only things mazda messed up with the fs was they used tiny unforged rod as well as more conservative cams for econominal basis. the fs was not built to be a performance motor, but it can be done. i know of a 323 with a fs that makes 680 whp. all you really need is a motor built right, some porting of the head, custom reground cams, and a higher flowing intake manifold. if you pair these with a good turbo setup and excellent tune, you will make more power than you will need in a FWD car. then after that, its fun trying to get a trans to hold the power :D

Comment

ok so on the FS what would be the "sweet spot" number wise on the cams? like lift and duration for boost (custom re-grind), then what about valve train (springs, retainers, Valves... etc.)?

as for the intake manifold, i am planning on building 2 intakes the same style as the Venom aftermarket intake manifold on the 4g63-t DSM but with the right size runners and 2 different flanges, 1 to fit the FE3 and the other to fit the FS.

Comment

Working...
                    X