Replacing the oil pan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing the oil pan?

My oil pan is rusted out and it was suggested that I replace it as soon as possible. Is there any special tool that I need to remove it? Also, are there other parts that need to be removed in order to change it? Thanks,
    Carlos.

Welcome to CP.

No special tools are required. Check out:

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

To aid in removal of the old pan I suggest you remove the exhaust downpipe as well. You can wiggle a socket behind the pipe to remove the bolts but installing them on the replacement pan might be difficult and hard to torque properly.

If you wish to reuse your pan then be careful not to warp the surface. Make sure you have removed all the bolts, then, using one of the bolts look for an inverted nut on one side of the pan (the front if I remember correctly) and carefully thread the bolt into the hole. It will bottom out against the block and using gentle pressure turn the bolt a bit further and it will help you break the seal on the oil pan. The pan should more or less pop off after that.

If your oil pan isn't bad you can sand off the rust and repaint it.

Comment

Working...
      X