Short shifter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=TheMAN

the kartboy bushings are ONLY for the shifter stabilizer rod... the shifter stabilizer rod is a passive moving part, meaning it DOES NOT do the shifting operation... the shifter rod does that... as the name implies, the shifter stabilizer bar is connected from the transmission to the shifter base and all it does is reduce shifter free play/movement in between shifts by controlling the transmission movement... think of it as a torque strap

using that bushing will help shifts somewhat, but the real improvement in shift feel are also replacing the actual shifter rod bushings on both ends of the shifter rod... it is a pair of bushings on each end of the pivot point

shifter freeplay/movement can be improved more effectively by replacing the engine mounts with stiffer units... this will almost eliminate the need for the kartboy bushing... but if you want to click your way through the gears, replace everything[/QUOTE]

When you state that the real improvement in shift feel occurs when you replace the actual shifter rod bushings on both ends of the shifter rod, are you referring to replacement with the OEM bushings or is there a more rigid aftermarket set available? In line with this, TWM Performance sells a short shifter kit with a ball bearing to replace the OEM bushing where the shifter rod connects to the shift lever. I don't know if this is available separately, but in your opinion would a change to a ball bearing here also reduce play and improve shift feel?

You also recommend replacing the engine mounts with stiffer units to further eliminate shifter play/movement. I recall reading your post (I think on the MP3/P5 Forum) where you replaced the passenger side OEM engine mount with one from the MSD and explained the benefits of the swap. In your opinion, would swapping out only that mount be sufficient to eliminate most of the play or would a full swap be needed?

Thanks for any help you can provide here.

02 DX Millenium Red
    Last edited by goldstar; 02-11-2004, 11:08 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Wow, trying to find out what shifter to buy leads me to replacing engine mounts... I hate it when that happens because I know it means I'm going to spend money I wasn't expecting to sometime down the road.

Comment

I have the pacesetter in my Protege. It works very well for me. I had to get used to it at first though.
        Basically in 2 or more words. The ball on the short shifter is usually located a little further up the shifter arm. So it will shorten the throw a bit, thereby making your brain all gummy..lol.

With my pacesetter, I only set it to where the top of the stock ball begins and then installed. I lubed it up with white lithium grease and installed it. Works great.
        Every know and then I pull it down and add more grease to it.

------------------
        I need to get one for the 323.
        I drive the 323 90% of the time. So when I do go back in the Protege, the short throws feal just rediculous to me. lol.

-----------------
        I would say, get one from the Mazdaspeed guys. Find one who changed his shifter and installed another one and has his stock one floating.
        To heck with paying 100 and some change for a damn short shifter.
        photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

How much does the Mazdaspeed one change the throw?

Comment

i have the pacesetter...i personally hate it. i ordered the twm and i have a mp3 shifter coming as well...so i'll see which one i like the most and sell the rest.
            2003 Spicy MSP

2003 Mazda Protege5 - traded

2001 Mazda MP3 #1476 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
              shifter freeplay/movement can be improved more effectively by replacing the engine mounts with stiffer units... this will almost eliminate the need for the kartboy bushing... but if you want to click your way through the gears, replace everything
              I think this might be getting a bit beyond me... to do this wouldn't you actually have to take the engine out? I mean, I'm assuming I wouldn't have to pull it completely out and set it on the floor or anything, but I would have to dismantle everything and get a lift to take the weight off. It sounds good for sometime in the distant future, but unless it's a lot easier than I'm imagining it I think I'll stick with the new bushings.

Comment

yes

Comment

Huh... that I probably wouldn't have thought of. I guess that makes it worth it.

Comment

Working...
                  X