2.0 Jspec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dahotprotege
    hahahah. It will be like the coolest thing evar dude! j/p i hope you guys know i am out of the ricer stage like I was a year ago when I started.
    Alright here is your test. Do you still have the shoulder pads?

Comment

hhahaha I got rid of those a long time ago. My entire interior is basically stock. The closest thing is a black steering wheel cover you COULD call rice but i only have it because my regular big brown steering wheel is faded and uglier.
      My OLD Car

Comment

I asked about turboing the FS-ZE a while back and they told me that it was such a high compression engine to begin with that turbo wouldn't really make all that much difference anyway... I'm sure that's a relative statement but it's worth asking someone about who knows more than me.

Comment

The best thing to do would be to email Corksport. They can probably explain exactly what you need to know.

Comment

Ive heard that too. Allegedly you want nothing more than 9.1 compression before turboing otherwise you will have to use such a low compression on the turbo it makes it almost redundant. The only thing to get around that i guess would be to beef up the internals so they can take the higher compression stroke and also the turbo compression. Its all addative remember and you dont want to have a piston fly through your bonnet because you were running 15pounds and 9.8 =p

Comment

a good compression would be around 9.4. you can buy the intake manifold, pistons, cams and header from the FS-ZE from corksport (well, i think they're out of exhaust cams, you can get them from www.shaneracing.com)...anywho, it'll bump up your HP a ton. probably not 170, but it'll bump it up.

my goal is to have 200+ hp to the wheels n/a...i have the cams, a header, and other crap...once i get the pistons (hopefully late spring...i plan on getting forged rods too) and get it tuned, i'll be there.

but back to the topic...high compression + turbo is NOT a good thing at all. you can get FS-ZE parts without buying the whole motor. so check into that.

hope that helped.1
              2003 Spicy MSP

2003 Mazda Protege5 - traded

2001 Mazda MP3 #1476 - sold

Comment

OK, time for MY stupid question for the day... if you buy any of the parts from the FS-ZE and install them, will they all bump the compression? I mean, couldn't you buy the camshafts and get the 18 or whatever extra hp and then turbo it without hurting anything? Or the larger throttle body? As long as you don't get into high compression stuff, shouldn't it work fine?

Comment

yes, just don't do the pistons...that's the only thing that bumps up the compression. i have a friend who had a mazdaspeed with j-spec cams...that was a damn fast car. the larger throttle body is a waste of money...it only shows VERY small gains if your car is turbo'd.
                  2003 Spicy MSP

Comment

wow thanks guys for all the responses. I appreciate it. What would be the best engine to boost then? The 1.8?
                    My OLD Car

Comment

2.0...go for the hiboost kit...it kicks ass. www.hiboost.com
                      2003 Spicy MSP

Comment

i never had enuff money to be a ricer so now im in the realistic stage

Comment

ricer? my car looks stock...so how am i "rice?"
                          2003 Spicy MSP

Comment

So really for the most power, take the 2.0, swap in the camshafts, headers, and all the lightweight parts from the jspec but not the pistons, and then turbo it. Right? Sorry for stupid questions, I started reading up on this stuff about two days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Topher
                              but back to the topic...high compression + turbo is NOT a good thing at all. you can get FS-ZE parts without buying the whole motor. so check into that.

hope that helped.1
                              With proper tuning, high compression + turbo isn't a bad thing at all.
                              Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                              BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                              Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

riiiiiiiiiiiiight...but there's no one around here that can tune my car for that kind of set-up. **** like that isn't readily available to everyone.

jnorion, get those parts...get the hiboost...and you'll have a bad ass car. juan at hiboost ran a stock p5 with his kit up to 14psi without any problems and put out 260 or 240 (i don't remember) hp to the wheels. of course, you wouldn't want to run that daily...just let him know what you're doing and he'll tell you what you'll need.

-Chris
                                2003 Spicy MSP

Comment

Working...
                                X