What Exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Exhaust?

I want an aggressive sounding exhaust, but not one that awakens the whole neighborhood. I have no idea what exhaust is good. I heard one cherry bomb on YouTube that sounded nice. And I don't want a fart can either. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by TH3B34ST; 08-31-2011, 08:50 PM. Reason: Grammar error
    Mazda Protege 2000 LX

I had good luck with a turbo muffler; you can usually find it or something very similar at most auto parts stores, or online at performance parts sites. It looks stock but is much freer flowing, but it's not terribly loud at all. I had a fart can on my old BG before that, and it was a lot quieter than the buzz bomb. You'll notice the noise, but it's not bad. The stock look helps if you live in a place that doesn't allow exhaust modifications, like draconian Virginia.
    1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

Originally posted by 1Mazda323Fan View Post
      The stock look helps if you live in a place that doesn't allow exhaust modifications, like draconian Virginia.
      Wow! Does that mean if I were a resident of VA my Racing Beat Exhaust system would be illegal?

Happy Motoring!
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

what about this? It's available locally and its inexpensive.
        Mazda Protege 2000 LX

Comment

might as well just cut the muffleroff and leave a straight pipe in there. lol. FWIW I had a dynomax "turbo" muffler. sounded pretty raspy on an NA car with no cat or resonator. I'd HIGHLY recommend a magnaflow straight through muffler. they sound awesome and flow very well.
          -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
          VF10 powered!
          262 Whp & 257 Wtq
          13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
            Wow! Does that mean if I were a resident of VA my Racing Beat Exhaust system would be illegal?

Happy Motoring!
            Yes it does. Any exhaust parts that aren't OEM or equivalent are illegal, including the muffler. I'm sure it has something to do with 'emission levels' or some such BS. I like how you snuck a recommendation (shameless plug) for Racing Beat in there, though.

To the OP, you might also want to check out Corksport. I don't have firsthand experience with their systems, but I know they make good products, and I've heard from a couple of other people that the exhausts work well, and don't give too much of the Honda buzz. You might also want to consider a custom made setup. Those can sometimes be cheaper than a pre-built system. Also, if you're buying a header along with the cat-back, be prepared to pay through the nose. They ain't cheap.
            1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

Originally posted by 1Mazda323Fan View Post
              Yes it does. Any exhaust parts that aren't OEM or equivalent are illegal, including the muffler. I'm sure it has something to do with 'emission levels' or some such BS. I like how you snuck a recommendation (shameless plug) for Racing Beat in there, though.
              That's truly sad. Both last summer and this summer my wife and I took vacation trips to VA and came to the conclusion that it might be a great state in which to relocate in terms of climate, scenic appeal, cost of living, real estate values, and property taxes compared with our current residence in NJ. Additionally, we found the people of VA to be uniformly friendly and helpful throughout our travels there. Although I wrote about last summer's trip, I've yet to recount this year's journey because of lack of time due to pressures of work.

However, I honestly don't know if I could relocate to VA if it meant having to remove my beloved Racing Beat Exhaust system. I just don't think my motoring would be that happy anymore.

What's the situation in WV? Or NC?

Upset in NJ.
              02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
              MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
              MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
              Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
              MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
              Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
              Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
              Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
              Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
              Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
              Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
              Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
              Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Ace, is this what you are talking about?
                Mazda Protege 2000 LX

Comment

Originally posted by TH3B34ST View Post
                  Ace, is this what you are talking about?
                  that looks like it but thats super expensive, you can get them cheaper off ebay and other places. also, you don't need stainless. that makes it cost more too. I got mine for $80 locally.
                  -Steve

VF10 powered!
                  262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                  13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

thanks for the suggestions everyone. I got my local advanced auto parts to order a magnaflow performance muffler. THIS. It will be ready for pick up tomorrow. How much does professional installation generally cost? I will post a video once its installed.
                    Mazda Protege 2000 LX

Comment

probably around $50. also, if you want a tip you'll need to get one or ask the exhaust shop if they have any.
                      -Steve

VF10 powered!
                      262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                      13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

The muffler is installed now! You were right Ace, about the magnaflow. It sounds perfect! A nice mean deep hum! Hopefully I can post a video of it tomorrow. thanks again for the suggestion.
                        Mazda Protege 2000 LX

Comment

I've got 2 on my car and I LOVE the way it sounds. of course the whistle of the turbo doesn't hurt either
                          -Steve

VF10 powered!
                          262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                          13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

I picked up a MSP exhaust for mine yesterday.....once I break free the rusty nuts off the original assemblies I hope to get it installed.

Comment

Sorry about posting it two days later, but here is a link to the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzbnuC91WEw
                              Mazda Protege 2000 LX

Comment

Working...
                              X