most cost effective way to turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

most cost effective way to turbo

I have a 2002 Protege5 and im looking to get more power. ive looked into turbo but it seems quite expensive. any cheaper ways to do it?

Stock Mazdaspeed Protege turbo kit/fittings/ecu. A buddy of mine in Orlando just parted out an MSP and may still have the full setup. He just offered it all to another guy I know for $600 with the ecu, if memory serves. Might be worth a shot. Here's his company FB page. (not trying to advertise or sell anything for personal gain)

FattiMotorWorks, Orlando, Florida. 4,798 likes · 7 talking about this · 108 were here. Used Quality Car Part, Custom Shift Boots, Key Programming, Dealer Services and Tuning. Tuning and Ke
    Last edited by ThatGreenBG; 09-22-2012, 01:41 AM.
    Team Fail Motorsports

That's just the nature of the beach.

Comment

If you're worried about costs, you shouldn't be turboing your car.
      Last edited by Turpro; 09-22-2012, 08:58 PM.
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

^Also, that. Boost becomes expensive, even if you have a low buy-in.
        Team Fail Motorsports

Comment

Especially on a protege with the worthless fsde

Comment

so what does fsde mean? also what about boosting is expensive? sorry im kind of a newbie

Comment

FS-DE is the code name for the 2 litre engine fitted to your Protege (as well as other Mazdas) that has garnered a reputation for being pretty damn useless, especially with boost applied. I starves for oil pressure when you take hard corners (don't remember whether it was right or left), it's a clunky, noisy beast, it likes to spin rod bearings for no reason (a buddy of mine spun a bearing in his never abused, non-boosted P5 while on his daily commute to work) and they like to evacuate rods out the side of the block without warning. The list goes on and on.

Really, the FS is a ticking time bomb. Turbocharging it just lowers the count on the clock.

Turbocharging is expensive in multiple ways. Buy-in on parts can be fairly pricey, sometimes it isn't, but rarely are you going to properly and reliably turbo a car for just a few Bens. Then, there's the cost of paying someone to properly tune it for you if you aren't on a setup utilizing a stock ecu. Even then, you may need some tuning. You may have to use high-grade fuel so the engine doesn't knock. Parts WILL break, whether it be the engine, gearbox or some little piddly part that costs a fortune to replace. It's going to happen. Also, refer to the FS-DE description above.

I've owned a turbo car and have friends with turbo cars. You will always be buying something for the car, big or small. It never stops.
              Last edited by ThatGreenBG; 09-26-2012, 10:06 PM.
              Team Fail Motorsports

Comment

Cheap major modifications to your car usually end up being quite expensive.
                sigpic
                1992 Familia GT-X
                1988 323 GTX
                2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
                2014 Civic Touring

Comment

If you really want reliable power out of a protege look into a klze swap. It's a Jdm v6 probe motor with 200 hp stock and will put a protege in the 13s with bolt ons. It drops right in but wiring is a pain.

Comment

I like the engine swap idea, but how expensive would that be? would it make more sense to just buy a new vehicle?

Comment

Can you do the work yourself? Then yes go get an engine and git r dun. If not, then buy another car.
                      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Forget these guys!Add a small shot of nox and be done with it.It'll be effective and forsure cheaper anyway you look at it

Comment

Fsde doesn't like nos. people have thrown rods and cracked pistons on a 25 shot when tuned for it. The stock motor is worthless, it can be built and hold 400 whp but then the trans starts going after 300-350

Comment

Your best bet kid, do research. A lot of it because if you just throw a turbo on without proper knowledge and blow your motor, you'll end up hating your car and think it was the car. Then you'll buy a Honda and bad mouth the Mazda. There's plenty of other sites with threads on boosting the 3rd gen pro. This road you want to go on is a fun road BUT its not a cheap one.
                            1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                            1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                            2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by dudemanski View Post
                              I like the engine swap idea, but how expensive would that be? would it make more sense to just buy a new vehicle?
                              A V6 engine swap ran me like $1500 including the cost of the KLZE, clutch, and parts car. It will cost more to do it properly.
                              sigpic
                              1992 Familia GT-X
                              1988 323 GTX
                              2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
                              2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Working...
                              X