Timing Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Belt

Can someone tell me if my 2001 protege wit the 1.6l engine is an inteference engine and at what intevals the timing belt needs to be changed. My 18 year old daughter drives it and I need her not to get stranded. Car has about 110,000 miles and was bought with about 95,000 and have no service records.

Thanks,

jj

iirc service interval is 95k but i am not too sure
    Goldstar will hopefully pipe in and confirm that for you
    for piece of mind .. change it . consider changing the waterpump and if even slightly questionable the pullies and belt tensioner

Comment

I think for piece of mind I DO need to change it, but do you know if it is an inteference engine and what milage Mazda recomendends for changing.

Thanks Again,

jj

Comment

Moved to the proper section. For future referwnce, yours is a bj chassis.

As for timing belts, good rule of thumb is replace it every 60,000-80,000 miles. They say 90-100,000 but I wouldn't bring it that close. While you're in there, replace the water pump.
        1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Oh and if I remember correctly, its not an interference motor. I don't think any Mazda(true Mazda motors) are
          1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
          1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
          2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
          .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

The 2001 Protege has a non-interference engine.

For piece of mind change the timing belt. And while this is being done you might as well change the water pump, drive belts, crank and camshaft seals, valve cover gasket, timing belt tensioner. Use Gates brand for the timing belt.

Comment

The 2.0 is listed as non interference but people have bent valves from them breaking, and is due to be done at 105k, i did mine at 155k. But that's for the 2.0 the 1.6 can't be too much different

Comment

Working...
              X