Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Part of my plastic dipstick is floating around in my oil pan. Dangerous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part of my plastic dipstick is floating around in my oil pan. Dangerous?

I broke my plastic dipstick on my 1999 ( 2000) Mazda Protege 5 speed ZM engine while I was wrestling around changing the timing belt. I left it that way fora few months.

The other day, I tried to retreive the broken dipstick part by sliding a metal dipstick down the tube in an effort to snag it.

I ended up pushing it into the oil pan. I am assuming theres about a 19" to one foot long section of yellow plastic floating around in my pan.

Common sense tells me its nothing to worry about, after its plastic and its not going up the oil pump tube because theres a screen on it.

But 20 years ago, I left a small metal clamp in my valve cover and belive it or not it got lodged in a perfect position to score the camshaft and break it!

So I am thinking , with my luck it'll get sucked up into a connecting rod and jam a piston, though the plastic is not that strong.

I wouldn't leave it.
    Team Fail Motorsports

That's just the nature of the beach.

Comment

drop the oil pan and get it outta there,
      sigpic
      ________
      '94 MX-3
      |229,000 miles and DEAD|

SOFA
      KING

SLOW

Comment

very high chance it won't cause you any issues what so ever. if its to big to go through the oil pump screen you won't have any issues. it should come out with an oil change.

drain your oil.
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
        X