Catalytic Converter Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smoomz
    ok but will my check engine lite come on if i take the cat off? if so how abouts will i bypass that problem?
    Yes your Check engine light will come on.
    The way to bypass that problem??
    Don't remove your cat.
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

so if i burn the honey comb out will i get a better increase in air flow?

Comment

Ok this is what I did I got under my pro and I unbolted the catilc from under the car and took it off, then I started up my torch and burn all the honeycomb out it melts easy after its hot, use gloves i didnt for 2 mins then i wash it out and let it dry for 30 mins then before you put it back on you should go by new gaskets there like 3 dollars at the parks stores for it if your gaskets arnet messed up on yours catlic i found a leak my gaskets were eat up then put the gaskets and catlic back on and thats it,,, Yea it breath alot better and runs alot better i dont see why people take them off and puts a pipe up there it is alot easyer and the engin light should not come after you put the caltic back on... I was playin around and I took my pro around the block with the caltic off and damn it was loud and ran good... but yea if you need more help just hit me up...
        Ratrod

Comment

huh, honey comb inside a cat is like ceramic, it glows redhot anyway, how the hell did you melt it.
          According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

yea its snowing out here right now so tommorow i will be taking my cat out and try to burn the honey comp out.will it be real loud or will it be the same noise that it is now ? i got the apc universal pipe on! and did u notice an increase in power? if so how noticable was it?

Comment

dude smoomz, get a high flow cat or leave it alone. youll only make things bad. you aint pushing no 200 hp so removing it isnt gonna be that noticeable.
              According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

yeah it wil be loud, and i dont see how you can "melt" ceramic out of a cat....i might be wrong but i know that if i run the **** out of my car, the cat glows red. honestly it will sound like ****, at least thats my opinion..

ex....my friend had a vw corrado, his cat collapsed and rather than spend 150 on a high flow cat he "busted" busted the honeycomb out with a prybar. This car is supercharged stock, and when he got his exhaust back together he lost a half second in the quarter mile,,,like i said get a high flow or leave it alon.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

ok where do i find a high flow cat?

Comment

you can buy a whole high-flow cat from http://axronline.com or http://corksport.com

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                    RB springs
                    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                    MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

It will be stright and yes you feel more
                      Ratrod

Comment

ok first off why would it matter if you pass the "sniffer"? i live in mn and as far as i know they dont make you test your car, also you can just go and get one of those cat emulators that tricks your ecu into thinking that the cat is working just fine.

Comment

"in the states there are 2 cats are you much have both to reguardless if it will pass an emmissions test with only one, by only having one you have modified you emmission for the worse and won't pass inspection, you may have 2 hiflow cats and thats fine, you can remove the resonator if you wish, since its just another form of a muffler."

Trust me, DO NOT DO THIS AS YOU WILL GO DEAF IN ABOUT 5 MINUTES. It is insanely loud. After about 10 minutes of driving my car my ears were numb and they were hurting like ****. Don't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by smoomz
                            ok some of the boys around my place r telling me to take aut my catlic converter for a better performance well i thought i would ask the protege guys here does ithelp with perforance? and if so what kinda gain am i looking at.... thanks for the help?

Yes it helps with performance..but you need to have the supporting mods to actually get real benefit out of removing cats!

In most states it's illegal to remove a cat..and it comes w/ a big fine.

also if you have a sniffer test..you will not pass if you remove both cats!

When i had an intake, header and exhuast on the car..and both cats removed..i noticed nice gains..but uptop!

I lost torque..down low..but gained nice hp uptop..according to my butt dyno!

i have a check engine light fix that solves most 3rd gen problems when removing cats/cat!

Chas

Comment

Do it right or don't touch it. You aren't going to see much in the way of power gains without doing the full exhaust, hi flow cat, and larger piping (2.25" at most for n/a), and a good muffler.

Comment

Some people equate louder to faster...but come on, that's crap.

Some people think a 3" pipe exiting behind the front wheels would be best...

Unless your cat(s) are clogged, you won't see more then maybe 2 horsepower and all the headaches that come w/ modifying.

Leave the primary cat alone, it does do a job...an important job that if you're willing to remove it in order to make 1 horepower, you're an ass.
                                However, the pre-cat on the header is just for quick light off and the cold emission specs that came with the Protges EPA certification.
                                Mine was plugged and it kept heating up and cracking the exhaust manifolds. So I removed the catalyst and put the housing back. If you have to get sniffered, just warm her up before hand and it will pass.
                                The only problem with no catalyst in the header is that the 2nd o2 sensor will be confused and throw a code.

So replace the 2nd o2 sensor with this o2 simulator: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7erz1/

I tried the nearly homemade resistor some people say works and it was hit or miss at best...this one has been on for a couple weeks with no problems.

Improvements? Modest...maybe a hp or two. I'm just happy I'm not cracking more manifolds and that the CEL is out.

Comment

Working...
                                X