Considering a new(used) Protege 2000, but first, a transmission question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering a new(used) Protege 2000, but first, a transmission question

I was looking at purchasing a Protege (2000, ~150,000 miles) from a private owner(First personal car). I went to take it for a test drive yesterday, and liked it, but I noticed that when I would stop at a stop sign, and take my foot off of the brake, the car wouldn't creep forward (even in drive). It would wait until I gave it gas.

The seller/owner told me that the transmission was replaced in 2008, and there's about 60,000 miles on it.

My only question is... Is this normal for this model of car? I mean for an automatic to not creep forward when in drive, and no brakes applied. I was pretty sure that due to the way the mechanism works, ALL automatics should move in that situation.

I'm guessing it's a transmission issue that may need to be addressed eventually. If so, is this a major, or minor issue? Like I said, once I give it gas, it goes fine, and it actually shifts smoothly.

Any help, thoughts would be appreciated!

I don't think that's normal. My 02 is a 5 speed, but my aunt's 01 is an auto and it definitely starts to pull when you shift to drive as has every other auto I've ever driven. I'm a die hard manual trans guy though, so I go in to any auto trans purchase skeptical.
    2002 Protege DX, 1974 VW Standard Beetle

Comment

Working...
    X