1st gear wont engage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st gear wont engage.

So a week ago I bought a 99 protégé with a 5 spd and 1st gear doesn't work 99% of the time. It usually just grinds when I let go of the clutch when I try to engage 1st. I've gotten it to work 3-4 times, but I don't know how. All the other gears work perfectly fine. So whats going on with my trans?

First thing I would check is your brake fluid reservoir. It is also the fluid for your clutch master cylinder, which creates the hydraulic pressure to disengage the clutch when you push in on the clutch pedal. If its low that could be a problem. It could also need to be adjusted, or bled. You could search the forum for all the possibilities for the shifting problem. Most indicate probable issue with clutch, either the master cylinder, or the throw out bearing worn down.(inside transmission)That should be replaced when clutch is replaced. Do you know much about any maintenance on the car?

Comment

If the shifter is really sloppy on the car. Fix that first. Sometimes if it's too sloppy it will not let it go into gear. Does it go into all the other gears no problem? What about reverse?
      91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Originally posted by dadio4 View Post
        First thing I would check is your brake fluid reservoir. It is also the fluid for your clutch master cylinder, which creates the hydraulic pressure to disengage the clutch when you push in on the clutch pedal. If its low that could be a problem. It could also need to be adjusted, or bled. You could search the forum for all the possibilities for the shifting problem. Most indicate probable issue with clutch, either the master cylinder, or the throw out bearing worn down.(inside transmission)That should be replaced when clutch is replaced. Do you know much about any maintenance on the car?
        The fluid is full. The clutch is 3-4 years old with 50k+ miles. I bought the car from my neighbor and that's what he told me. I was thinking its the slave cylinder, so I called Napa and they are going to get me one.
        Originally posted by progt91 View Post
        If the shifter is really sloppy on the car. Fix that first. Sometimes if it's too sloppy it will not let it go into gear. Does it go into all the other gears no problem? What about reverse?
        It doesn't seem sloppy, but idk how I'd tell. All the other gears work great, even reverse. No trouble going into them.

Comment

Check your transmission fluid level. low fluid makes for difficult shifting
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
            Check your transmission fluid level. low fluid makes for difficult shifting
            Is there a dipstick for that? I looked the other day but could only find the oil dipstick. I probably over looked it.

Comment

you need to pull out the speedo gear & check the fluid level there
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Where's that at?

Comment

rear side of the transmission ~right below the throttle body

Comment

Awesome thank you sir.

Comment

Working...
                    X