Engine misfiring on idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine misfiring on idle

A few weeks ago, my engine ran rough under heavier load at lower RPM. It felt like it was misfiring, although no engine codes were given. It continued to get worse until I finally got to diagnosing the problem. My first step was to replace the spark plugs, and to my surprise that completely fixed the issue (although the spark plugs didn't look all that bad).

A couple of weeks later, this issue has come back. It stutters again lightly at lower RPMS on heavier throttle, and once in a while kicks while idling. I'm wondering if anyone can help point me in the right direction. I'm burning through about 1/3 quart of oil every gas fill-up. My best somewhat educated guess at this point is that I'm getting oil in combustion, thus ruining my spark plugs. I've just started working on cars, so I'm not sure.

Thanks for any help. Also, this is the '99 1.8 manual with over 180,000 miles.

Greetings. Usually a misfire will be an issue with the coil packs, spark plugs, a fuel pump problem, fuel injector problem, or air intake hose problem.

if you replaced the spark plugs, i'd look into replacing the coil packs and wires.
    R.I.P. 97 Proto LX> Car killed the deer, but the deer killed the car
    108,659 Mi.

2003 Mazda Protégé> 140k miles

Comment

Originally posted by 97protoLX View Post
      Greetings. Usually a misfire will be an issue with the coil packs, spark plugs, a fuel pump problem, fuel injector problem, or air intake hose problem.

if you replaced the spark plugs, i'd look into replacing the coil packs and wires.
      x2
      Pull the air intake hose off and roll it around looking for cracks. They do eventually disintegrate and cause these symptoms.
      2002 Protege DX, 1974 VW Standard Beetle

Comment

Thanks for the help! I'll rip off and inspect the air intake this weekend. After that I'll go down the list of other parts. Thanks and I'll keep you posted!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Comment

The air intake hose was fine. I did notice that the problem was worse when it was raining. So, I threw in new NGK spark plug wires from roackauto.com and that took care of the issue! Thanks all for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X