LS Swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LS Swap?

I have searched the internet for an LS swapped protege. Is this something that has yet to be done? I've seen a doctored youtube video of a supposed swap but it was a fake. I was wonder about the pitfalls of such a swap. I know there may be a heavy amout of fabircation due to the car being FWD and said swap would need to convert the car to RWD. I've been researching and the dimensions on the Miata and protege make it so fabricating mounts for a rear end wouldn't be out of the question. I've seen many Miata LS swaps and was hoping to see a V8 protege. I think with the cars handling and better balance due to better weight distribution this car could be a amazing track day car with an LS swap. Opinions please!

Follow the Probe guy (Dan [sac]) that did the RWD conversion for his Probe. Same basic idea, just going to need beefier parts to handle the added torque of the LS.

Dont attempt without a butt load of cash to back it up. Almost everything will be custom and take a while. The Miata guys have swap kits. Protege LS has nothing.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Converting a unibody FWD econo-car into a RWD V8 beast is easy, that's why everyone does it.....

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Luckily this wont be my first trip down this path. My first car was a 67 Mustang with an inline 6 200 with a manual 3 speed. that had a rusted out floor pan, so I am not a stranger to body work or making something work that takes more than a little fabricating. When I was done the car had new floor pan, 302 with a built C4 tranny behind it. I have lots of ideas on how to tackle this and I am trying to narrow down the the most pragmatic for something as stupid as this. I want to make my protege into a fun track car. Thanks for positive feed back. I am still in the planning phase of this and the protege is a DD right now. I need a replacement DD before I can get this underway. Considering buying a late 90's donor camaro with an LS and Five speed to get a lot of the parts in one place.

Comment

I like how the probe kept the battery in the engine bay.
          Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
          kitty, you are a hilarious woman
          Originally posted by HopelessCow
          there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
          Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

ive done the measurements, i have about a dozen ls engines laying around, their is barely any room in it to fit just a block and heads, much less exhaust man sitting transverse mount. ls4 with 4t65 from the monte ss and impala ss are transverse mount and wont fit between the factory rails. mounting it longitudinally will take serious firewall removal, along with a whole floor pan and trans tunnel fabrication. also not forgetting to install a rear differential some how. you better have alot of patience and serious fab skills, and deep pockets, your in it for a long run if you seriously want to follow threw with this. (i should have taken pics of test fitting an ls when i had the engine out.)
            1991 Mazda 323 "Sh1tbox" BP Swap, Beater
            1991 Mazda 323 "Sh1tbox v3.23" KL Swap
            1993 Mazda Protege DX "Baby Hauler"

Comment

The new trans tunnel will look pretty comical from inside the car....
              '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
              '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
              http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Originally posted by carkrazy1987 View Post
                ive done the measurements, i have about a dozen ls engines laying around, their is barely any room in it to fit just a block and heads, much less exhaust man sitting transverse mount. ls4 with 4t65 from the monte ss and impala ss are transverse mount and wont fit between the factory rails. mounting it longitudinally will take serious firewall removal, along with a whole floor pan and trans tunnel fabrication. also not forgetting to install a rear differential some how. you better have alot of patience and serious fab skills, and deep pockets, your in it for a long run if you seriously want to follow threw with this. (i should have taken pics of test fitting an ls when i had the engine out.)
                Start with an AWD protege and problem solved for the rear half of the conversion lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Working...
                X