No announcement yet.

Ebay CAI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i just barely installed the ebay CAI on my protege. Its making my car run like **** and my check engine light is on. My MAF may be a little damaged, but it was working fine with the stock intake filter box, before i bought the ebay intake i had my stock filterbox connected to a 3" intake tube with a high flow filter and i worked great, but the noise was not as cool. The ebay intake sounds really throghty and louder than stock. Anyway, let us know how yours turn out, I may just need to get another MAF. Also the little hose that goes from the engine to the intake tube(vacume line?) now makes a strange noise when the engine is running, but when i disconnect the tube the noise stops.

Comment

mine comes on wed, so I will have to see. My car is already slow as hell so i dunnoo...
      My OLD Car

Comment

Yep mine will be here on Wednesday too. Interested to see how it works. Either way it is going to be chopped soon for the turbo project.

Comment

Originally posted by Beancho
          i just barely installed the ebay CAI on my protege. Its making my car run like **** and my check engine light is on. My MAF may be a little damaged, but it was working fine with the stock intake filter box, before i bought the ebay intake i had my stock filterbox connected to a 3" intake tube with a high flow filter and i worked great, but the noise was not as cool. The ebay intake sounds really throghty and louder than stock. Anyway, let us know how yours turn out, I may just need to get another MAF. Also the little hose that goes from the engine to the intake tube(vacume line?) now makes a strange noise when the engine is running, but when i disconnect the tube the noise stops.
          I am going to assume you knew to reset the ECU. But what kind of problems are you having? It could be a leak around the MAF, alot of us have had that problem with aftermarket intakes.

Comment

THe problem i was having was a decrease in power. The car was not stalling or anything, but it was sooo much slower. I think i reset the ecu, but since i am a dumbass i am not sure. After i put the intake in i removed my battery for about 20 minutes, not sure if thats the way you are talking about tho. As for the leak, it is highly possible because the circular seal on the MAF is missing just a little bit of plastic on one side( I got the MAF off my friends totalled proty). My check engine light is off since i disconnected my battery. Im just want to see what results you guys get so i can decide on whether to search for a new MAF. BTW i went to the shortpipe config and threw a bigger filter on it and its running a lot better, but i still notice its missing some power. Great looks and sound tho. The filter it comes with is kinda weak and small.
            Last edited by Beancho; 03-21-2004, 12:28 AM.

Comment

i just got a used MAF from the junkyard, problem solved. I am not sure if it made a lot of difference compared to stock, but my car does seem a little peppier.

Comment

Originally posted by Beancho
                i just got a used MAF from the junkyard, problem solved. I am not sure if it made a lot of difference compared to stock, but my car does seem a little peppier.

any of you guys driving auto or stick?

but as many said, it is more just looks and sound than actually power

Pics when you can plz, thx!

Mods :

Racing Beats Springs...Racing beat Exhast (catback)...Boston Accoustics...50% tint all over ...Piaa superwhite fog lights...blue neon under seats... mesh grill (looks good, see for your self)...6cd OEM changer...blue engine loom in engine...clear corner turn signals...Kenwood amp(600W)

My car gallery

My car in silver

CRV.... Sold....sniff, sniff

Comment

mine runs like ass with it on, not sure if thats the problem, cause i havent had time to screw with it. but i did replace the maf, and my plugs, and my wires, and reset my ecuand made a seal around the maf, and shortened it up to a short ram, do you know what code the car is throwing???
                  .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                  225.94wtq
                  torque monster!!!!
                  dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                  http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                  http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

I am running a stick with a 1.6l, and the sound is great. Doesnt sound very ricey, actually sounds like the car has balls, deep and throughty. I acutally short piped it because the winters are so bad here and I did not feel like taking off my bumper again. I also had a bigger filter from before so i threw that on. I put the plastic ram air unit back on and connected a hose to it so it runs right to my air filter. I will try to get pics up tommorow, just depends on time i get between school and work.
                    Goldpro, my car ran like crap as well. It was strange because With the stock intake the MAF seemed to be working fine and my car was running great. Upon installing the new intake with the same MAF my car ran like ****. I was getting a big cut in power, but my car was not stalling or choking out. As soon as i purchased a used MAF at the junkyard the car ran great with the new intake. Purhaps you should consider getting a MAF at an auto wrecker(where i got mine) or a junkyard and seeing if it helps. The wrecker I purchased from offered a 30 day return. It was only 65 $, so maybe something to consider.

Comment

i hope mine doesnt do that cuz i replaced my MAF like 8 months ago.
                      My OLD Car

Comment

d0od i bought one from mazda, a new one. same crap. so i dunno i just need some time to play with it.
                        .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                        225.94wtq
                        torque monster!!!!
                        dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                        http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                        http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

i think its image station, ive posted pics before that worked.....

oh and keep in mind that my original MAF was damaged prior to installing it in the new intake.
                          Last edited by Beancho; 03-24-2004, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Well I just got my intake in. It will probably work fine, but from an aestetic point of view, it looks like ass. It looks like somebody dropped it on the ground. The polish is scratched off in some areas. I guess some high temp engine paint and high temp clear coat will work just fine for painting it right?

Comment

You got screwed, mine looked really nice when I got it. Granted it only stayed that way for about a week, but still...

By the way, isn't your car gone for a while or something? Or did you get to keep it while you wait on insurance?

Comment

Yeah it's being repaired. I think they are going to take the estimate today. Should be interesting, hopefully nothing major is screwed up.

Comment

Working...
                                X