Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

valve re machined - oil consumption through the roof.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve re machined - oil consumption through the roof.

This is a lady i work with posting this at work. I have never had an engine issue with my P5 so have no experience. woudl like to know if there are any ideas i can relay. Car has 145k miles on it.

"About 4 months ago my car (2003 Mazda Protege5) stalled out -- I had to get it towed, and paid my mechanics a small fortune for repairs. (Apparently one of the cylinder heads on the engine needed to be re-machined. In hindsight I probably should have retired the car.) Anyway, listed on my invoice for that repair is "machining/resurfacing including complete valve job and valve adjustment", as well as a new engine gasket set.
    Ever since I got my car back, it's been consuming oil at a rather astounding rate (about 1 quart every 2-3 weeks). It's never done this before, so I'm assuming that it has something to do with the engine being stripped down 4 months ago. Seeing as these mechanics warranty their work, I took it back to them. They replaced the PCV valve (didn't charge me for labor), said to monitor oil consumption, and advised me that the engine valve rings are worn. By this, I assume that they mean the valve seals.
    My question is: are they pulling a fast one on me? Would one also not replace the seals with the valves? Or at the very least, wouldn't you notice that they're heavily worn when doing the whole engine rebuild?

"Apparently one of the cylinder heads on the engine needed to be re-machined"? "The engine valve rings are worn"?
    Take two thousand dollars and 5 months to learn all about engine repair. It's going to take that if you go back to that shop. At least this way, you will have learned how to do it yourself, and you'll have a sweet set of tools.

Need more information about the condition of the car. What kind of engine does it have in it? How many miles does it have on it? Has it been taken care of? Did it burn oil before the repair? Can you come up with a itemized bill, then post it up here.

Women shouldn't go to shops by themselves.
    Last edited by 1st Gen; 11-30-2015, 09:15 PM.
    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Valve seals should have been replaced when they did the valves job. It is possible they damaged them while removing the valves. As far as the car stalling because of a warped head that just does not sound right did it break a timing belt and bend some valves possibly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92 GT GTX Autox machine Dead and gone

98 ZX2 Currently rusty Need a new car

Comment

Tell her to list the car as a mechanics special on Craigslist and hopeful it'll cover the money she just threw at it. P5 chassis usually sell pretty quickly/well.

Also lol'd at "one of the cylinder heads." "engine valve rings" and bad PCV causing 1 quart a week oil consumption.
        Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
        kitty, you are a hilarious woman
        Originally posted by HopelessCow
        there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
        Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

95% probability the motor is junk and was subject to the dreaded recall.

the intake manifold had screws and metal plates that would fall & run through the engine. If the cylinder head needed repair. this is the only feasible reason why.
          when the screws go through believe me the rings also take a nasty hit. the internal damage is quite severe - a good amount of these engines never made it back on the road after the issue.

bring it back to them & threaten with a lawyer. either get some money back & never return to that shop again. or just cut your losses.

DO NOT put any further money into the car.
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
          X