Belt snapped, loud random squeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belt snapped, loud random squeal

Hello.. I'd like to start off by saying I indeed used the search bar.. And Google.. And found interesting points of various incidents but to my particular cause I haven't found anything concrete to help me.

So anyway . A few weeks after I bought my 1999 Mazda protege 1.8. I changed both alternator and power steering belts. And I faintly remember how the belts looked but I remember one of them was pretty eaten up. Looked old to me.

So a few days later I heard is squealing really loud. And I checked the tension with my hand but everything seemed ok. So the noise persisted to go on for weeks.. It was random though. Sometimes it would sound sometimes it wouldn't. And it didn't matter if I had loads on or not.. That wasn't making a difference. It would make it with the lights off and fan off. And then sometimes it wouldn't make the noise with the lights on at night.. Or it would make the noise with it too. Like I said it was random. And I remember touching the alternator and belt .. And it was really hot very quick.

So this weekend I installed a subwoofer and speakers, and I was hearing the squealing more constant but it would still go away and not make any noise.. Then I was driving and the dash was showing the battery light.. And it was over heating so I figured that the belt must've snapped.. 1/4 mile later as I'm pulling off to a safer location I notice my power steering not working so I also figured that one broke.. But I went to open the hood and the power steering belt was still in tact and no cuts or anything of that sort.. But the alternator belt was missing (the inside belt) so yeah.. I don't want to guess.. And change alternator or water pump without knowing the actual problem. There are also some black shavings around and between the alternator and crankshaft pulley .. I checked all pulleys and they seem pretty normal.

I appreciate anyone's input . Thank you

your video shows both belts missing...so did you replace your belts?

if the issue is squealing, make sure the belts are tensioned properly. there are adjustment bolts on the alternator and PS pump. i had brand new belts installed several weeks ago because of the squeal noise, they were still squealing until i finally adjusted the tension last weekend.

Comment

Working...
    X