No announcement yet.

anyone else had bad plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

once again....can someone tell what the coil packs are?
    Coil packs are what our cars have instead of a distrubutor. On my 2.0 they are on the valve cover, (on the 1.6 and 1.8 just follow the plug wires down and they will be connected to the coils), and they are what provide the spark to our plugs. I beleive all 3rd gen cars have have two coil packs one coil for two cylinders. On the 2.0 each coil sits on top of one spark plug, and they each have a plug wire that runs to the two other plugs.
    2003 Protege LX 2.0 (BJFP) Sport package (New motor at 24,885 miles on 5/26/05), 5 Speed. Black Mica.

Mods: Mazdaspeed front bumper/foglight conversion, Cold Air Intake w/ K&N filter, OBX header with sport muffler, Full Mazdaspeed suspension with 5-lug/ 4-disc conversion and Racing Beat upgraded sway-bars, "E" level bushing kit, 2.25 inch trimmed Sprint Performance lowering springs, Mazdaspeed strut tower brace, smoked tails, Short shifter, Corksport clutch hose, black pearl emblem kit, Silverstar headlights, and limo tint

Future mods include: DGM carbon fiber grille and air dam, 2003 Mazdaspeed spoiler and side sills, Corksport full exhaust, grounding kit and then hmmm...turbo?

Comment

the 1.6 is the same way, right on top of the valve cover.
      .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
      225.94wtq
      torque monster!!!!
      dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
      http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
      http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Originally posted by Ur2Slo
        Coil packs are what our cars have instead of a distrubutor. On my 2.0 they are on the valve cover, (on the 1.6 and 1.8 just follow the plug wires down and they will be connected to the coils), and they are what provide the spark to our plugs. I beleive all 3rd gen cars have have two coil packs one coil for two cylinders. On the 2.0 each coil sits on top of one spark plug, and they each have a plug wire that runs to the two other plugs.
        THANKS!

Comment

OK... I got my NGKplug wires today in the mail... did the 1.5 minute install and TADA no more hesitation and a lot more throttle responce. Guess my coil packs are still good... luckily! oh and by the way ... I ordered my plugs from www.clubplug.net They were great to deal with and CHEAP!
          Last edited by sLoPrO2k; 07-03-2004, 03:27 PM.

Comment

OK well... today the Pro started hesitating again.... checked the plug wires to make sure they were on good and they were. I guess I need to try to replace the coil packs. Can anyone tell me where I can order them from? I tried the local junk yards... no Pros. Does anyone have part numbers? And is that exactly what they are called....Coil Packs?

Comment

Originally posted by sLoPrO2k
              OK well... today the Pro started hesitating again.... checked the plug wires to make sure they were on good and they were. I guess I need to try to replace the coil packs. Can anyone tell me where I can order them from? I tried the local junk yards... no Pros. Does anyone have part numbers? And is that exactly what they are called....Coil Packs?
              In the 2002 FSM, what most people call the 'coil packs' that mount to the valve cover are referred to in the parts diagram as the 'ignition coils'. So I assume the latter is the official designation, at least for the 2.0L models.

02 DX Millenium Red
              Last edited by goldstar; 07-04-2004, 02:16 PM.
              02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
              MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
              MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
              Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
              MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
              Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
              Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
              Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
              Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
              Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
              Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
              Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
              Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Thanks goldstar.

Comment

well it wasnt my coil packs.... ended up getting a CEL (running too rich). O2 sensor. Replaced it with a universal O2 sensor today and problem is gone, hopefully.

Comment

this is gonna sound really stupid, but how do you get to the spark plugs? ive never really done any engine work before..where are the plugs located? and are the ignition wires under the valve cover? thanx

Comment

mine on the 1.6l are right on top the valve cover (wires), plugs are connected to those.

Comment

sorry for the newb question agn, but how do you take the plugs out? does the wires just twist/pull out? man i feel so so stupid now... -_-''

Comment

The wires pull right off. You will need a socket extension and a spark plug socket to remove the plugs.
                          Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Working...
                          X