Changing gauge cluster and dash light colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing gauge cluster and dash light colors

Mods: somebody please make this a sticky. I get questions about this every couple of weeks, and I'm sure other people do too. I would like to have a comprehensive thread covering this that people don't have to search too hard to find.

Gauge Cluster lights
    There are a number of options for changing the color of the gauge cluster. The most popular is by replacing the gauge faces with the reverse glow faces from procarparts.com (commonly known as the PCP gauges). These fit any Protege '98 and up. They are reasonably cheap, about $40. You can get them with silver or white faces, and they have an inverter switch to light them up blue or green.

PCP Gauges installed on a 2003 LX. Note that these are on the blue setting.

These do have drawbacks. The biggest one is that it is very easy to break your gauge needles, particularly the temperature and gas gauges. As far as I know, nobody has figured out how to fix these once they've been broken. Another drawback is that these cover the gas light, the door open light, and the airbag light.

Additional reading:
    Gauge Installation How-To
    Info about fixing broken needles
    More about fixing gauge cluster
    More info

Speedhut.com also makes gauge overlays for the Protege. These have several advantages over the PCP gauges. They come with many more options as far as background color and light color goes. They are customizable with any logo you want to put on them. They don't cover the gas light and door open light. However, they are more expensive, at $69.95 base price (without customization). They come in either MPH or KPH, but don't have the other one smaller inside (could be an issue for people who travel between Canada and the US).

This is the sample picture from their web site. I haven't yet found anyone with them installed on the protege, so I don't have any other sample pictures.

Import Car Parts Plus also sells overlays. They make custom ones as well, for around $30. However, theirs don't display KPH inside and cover up gas light and door light. I don't know of anyone who has used these either.

Sample picture from their website.

Another fairly popular option is to change out the light bulbs in the cluster itself. There are four bulbs that need to be changed. They are on the back of the cluster, located approximately where they are marked in this picture.

The two inner bulbs are #194. These are large size bulbs. The two outer bulbs are #74. They are fairly small. They come from the factory as clear incandescent bulbs. Some years they had colored condoms over them, others were bare bulbs and colored by the factory gauge faces. These can be replaced with other incandescent bulbs or LEDs.

There are some drawbacks to each of these options. The light shines into the edges of clear plastic pieces in the cluster, and is dispersed through these. LED's produce light that aims straight out from the end, and so very little of it actually goes into the plastic the way it is intended. Because of this they produce "hot spots": highlights directly in front of them with darker areas around. However, the LED's are brighter and the colors are clearer than incandescent bulbs. If you use the incandescent bulbs, they will produce a more even light, but the color will be more affected by the tint on the back of the factory gauge faces. Also, putting a different color bulb in (incandescent or LED) will affect how bright the gauge needles are. They are still visible, they just don't stand out as much.

This is not from my car, but it looks about the same. I will try and take a picture of mine tonight.

To buy LEDs I recommend superbrightleds.com. They have all the parts you need and great customer service -- I received my order in two days. If you decide to buy incandescent bulbs, Schucks or Radio Shack usually have what you're looking for.

Additional reading:
    The original post about LEDs in the gauge cluster
    Last edited by jnorion; 07-31-2004, 01:54 PM.

Gauge Cluster Needles
    There are two ways that I know of to change the color of the gauge needles.

1) Put different color bulbs in back, change the whole face color, and change the needles along with it.

2) Import Car Parts Plus sells Intelliglow needle kits to change the color. They are universal kits. For the Protege it is $72. The company website says they've been tested with one; however, I don't know of anyone that's used them, so I have no idea how well they actually work.

From their website

Comment

Changing HVAC lights
      The HVAC controls use two #74 bulbs, identical to the ones in the gauge cluster. On my car there was no colored film in front of them, just condoms on the stock bulbs. As far as I know all models are like this. At this point you again have the choice between LEDs and incandescent bulbs. I prefer the bulbs because of their more even lighting pattern, but they are too dark.

Linked from mazdamp3.com

I will take pictures of this tonight and post them.

Additional reading:
      How to take apart the HVAC controls
      The pictures are gone but it should still help. Note: all you have to do is take the unit out, opening it up and desoldering is for a different process.
      Complete how-to on changing HVAC lights
      From the Forums. This is far better than mine, definitely read this if you're interested.
      Last edited by jnorion; 07-31-2004, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Nice write-up.

Comment

If anyone has something to add or corrections to make, please do. I want this to be as comprehensive as possible.

Comment

Update: Dash Colors

Just a quick few things I've found when changing dash lights:

1. When disconnecting the Temp control and Vent selector Cables, beware of a small platic barb found on the ring. This barb keeps the cable ring in place, just in case you might try to pull it off.

2. After disconnecting the ring, reach just past it and you'll find a metal clip. Very carefully either remove the clip from it's place (noting where it cam from) or remove the cable from the clip. DO NOT BREAK THE CLIP (as I learned ) by doing so, your cable will not stay seated and you will not be able to select the vent you want D'Oh!

3. In my 02 LX Canadian, the gauge DOES NOT have bulbs with condems on them, but rather clear bulbs, and the green coming from the plate itself. Now my gauges glow tourquise rather than blue, I haven't been able to remove the green plate, so if anyone has any ideas, it would be great.

thanks

Comment

About the clips, beware of breaking them as Sp1c3b0y said, and also beware of dropping them down in the dash somewhere where you can't find them, because they're about $7 to replace (which is a ripoff given the size of the part) and are difficult to ghetto rig.

My best guess on the green coating would be to sand it off. Supposedly people have done it with the gauges (mine are turquoise right now too) but I've never seen conclusive results. If you do try it let us know, hopefully it works. One of these days I'll get to it, but probably not for a while.

Comment

Working...
              X