Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fog light bubs: 55W VS 100W

Hi,

I need to change my fog lights bulbs on my 2002 MP5. I saw on the Fog light casing that it is written 55W bulbs but I was wondering if I could put some 100W bulbs instead of the 55W. What are the chances that I damage something.

Thank you for your help

Justin

Originally posted by grosbiz
    What are the chances that I damage something.
    100%

Comment

Don't

Yea, I know the foglights on our cars are decorative only....I was strongly discouraged from using 100W - even though the light casing is glass, the bumper around it is not.

I bought 85W Hella bulbs ( yellowstar ), and ran them till each died, quite quickly, after the fog was hit by a stone. Mind you, the stone did no damage to the casing of the fog, or the casing of the bulb, but since the bulb was running VERY hot, the filament broke from the shock. Besides, since the light casing was very hot, I did not risk running the fogs when idle / in traffic gridlock, since I was worried that the bumper might warp from heat.

In short? I am back to the OEM bulbs, but I have aimed the fogs all the way up, making sure they don't blind anyone. I know this is technically wrong, but they complement my low beams quite nicely.
      '03 P5, midnight blue, 5spd, K&N A/F, swiss cheese air intake, bumper and trunk guards.

Comment

A 100 watt bulb will also cause your wiring to get insanely hot. The possibilities of melting your switch, wires, or even a fire are there. PIAA makes 55 watt bulbs that are pure white and brighter than you could legally need. The problem with our fog lights are the hood that directs the coverage area low and wide. This hood is bendable and can make your fog light a little more spot lightish. Good Luck!!!
        Tony
        Intense Performance
        Mazda Club
        of South Florida

www.ipmcsfl.com
        www.responsenegative.com
        www.cystband.com

I'm happy because Dima speeds, which makes him happy. He seems to be happy only when speeding, which makes me happy. And when I'm happy people around me are able to live another day. If you are alive right now, you should thank Dima.

Comment

Originally posted by tviera
          A 100 watt bulb will also cause your wiring to get insanely hot. The possibilities of melting your switch, wires, or even a fire are there. PIAA makes 55 watt bulbs that are pure white and brighter than you could legally need. The problem with our fog lights are the hood that directs the coverage area low and wide. This hood is bendable and can make your fog light a little more spot lightish. Good Luck!!!
          Tony...I thought the fogs are supposed to be low and wide....no?
          '03 P5, midnight blue, 5spd, K&N A/F, swiss cheese air intake, bumper and trunk guards.

Comment

Comparison of fog light beam pattern (top) with driving light beam pattern (bottom).
            Last edited by goldstar; 04-17-2006, 11:44 PM.
            02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
            MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
            MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
            Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
            MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
            Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
            Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
            Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
            Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
            Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
            Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
            Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
            Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Fog lights are meant to be used in FOG... they're supposed to cut under the fog so you can see the road without whiting out the windshield with glare.

Comment

You are correct, but it seemed that he wanted more light. I was just tring to explain my point in a simple fashion. Perhaps "spot" wasn't the term I was looking for. Driving lights slipped my mind for some reason. I live in a dark rural flat area in South Florida ( hence the flat part ) and did everything that I had mention in my first reply. I don't even need to use my brights and I do not get flashed by anyone either. By bending that "hood" piece up a little you still get the wide coverage that a fog light provides and you also get more distance that a driving light provides.
                Tony
                Intense Performance
                Mazda Club
                of South Florida

www.ipmcsfl.com
                www.responsenegative.com
                www.cystband.com

I'm happy because Dima speeds, which makes him happy. He seems to be happy only when speeding, which makes me happy. And when I'm happy people around me are able to live another day. If you are alive right now, you should thank Dima.

Comment

If he wanted more light, try the Sylvania Silverstars or install some aftermarket fogs.

These work with a little modding. They are technically not fogs but they are damn bright and cut through the fog pretty good also.
                  2002 Blackmica P5
                  CAI - MSP springs - Brembo cross-drilled rotors & KVR pads - Ground wires - Ignition wires - Silverstars - Eurolites - Pilot fogs - Toyo TPTs - Tint - Blue calipers & strut bar - Batsymbol in rear window

Comment

Working...
                  X