Glove Box won't open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glove Box won't open

I have a 1999 Protege LX. My glove box just decided to stop working! When I lift up on the handle it just moves freely. I don't recall hearing anything break and I am typically pretty gentle with my car! Does anyone know if I can replace just the handle or do I have to replace the entire glove box? Also is there another way - maybe from underneath to get into that box?

Thanks in advance!

Reach around the back of the glovebox and see if anything fell into the opening. That could very well be jamming it and keeping it from opening.

Comment

sounds like something inside the lock broke, if thats the case good luck. If it is let me know and I'll see if I can find a way to get mine off without the handle.
      According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

I'm not sure if the older models have locks on them, if they do, have you tried unlocking it? I'm not calling you stupid, but just trying to eliminate the obvious
        -Kevin
        -90 Miata 1- #80 CSP, '01 1.8L Swap w/ working VVT
        -90 Miata 2 - $2005/6/7 Turbocharged GRM Challenger
        -91 Tracer - $2008/9 AWD Converted Turbocharged Challenger
        -94 MX3 - #8 Hong Norrth LeMons/Chumpcar Racer
        -02.5 Protege5 - The Daily

Comment

Nah, the 99/00s didn't have locking gloveboxes. Seems like either the latch broke or something is jamming it closed.
          Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Thanks everyone. There is nothing jamming it and there is no lock on it. The handle just comes up as if nothing is engaging it. Thanks again for the tips!!

Comment

then your probably going to have to just break the locking mechanism. I'll look at mine tomorrow and take a pic of the best way to remove it without the mech working.
              According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Thanks so much - you rock!! I'll let you know how it turns out!

Comment

Working...
                X