No announcement yet.

guage bulbs and HVAC bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found a temporary solution... Schucks had blue incandescent bulbs for $3 for a pair. It's just the 194's but the 74's were bright enough. I think I'm going to play with it some more later because it still has a turquoise look, but for now it's good, and the needles light up bright enough.

I installed the leds in the HVAC controls too, and I'm not satisfied. It looks like two little spotlights behind there. I think it's the same diffusion problem as in the gauges. I'll just look for blue bulbs for that too and see how they do.

Comment

**** berries now i'm worried that the red ones won't light up enough i've got 2 of the wide angle 74's coming, so i'll try them in the hvac and see if that works better i've got 2 of the regular ones in my guages now, so i'll be able to put one in each side for an objective comparison

Comment

Let me know how the wide angles work... I'd much rather use leds if I can.

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
          Let me know how the wide angles work... I'd much rather use leds if I can.

depending on when i get home tomorrow night, and how tired i am, i might have pics up

Comment

that'll be good.
            so long as i can get a good deal on the ES GT i found, i'll have to change the bulbs in it... i'll probably just try to follow the "how to" on mazdamp3.. but if you have pics and a list of the bulbs you use.. that'd make my life hella easier.

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
            RB springs
            Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
            MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

so i finally got around to playing around with my guage cluster tonight

i changed out the wide angle 194's to the 6 LED 194's. one of them didn't fit too well, so i had to force it into the cicuit board. the 6 LED housing was just a little bit too big. but the other fit fine. they did brighten things up, but not dramatically. the 74's still had very noticable hot spots. so i changed them out to the wide angle 74's. still the same hot spots. so after messing around with it for a while, i just decided to leave the 74's out. the outsides are a bit dim, but i'd rather have that than the hot spots. i still haven't gotten around to the HVAC controls, either

Comment

any pics as of yet?

RB springs
                Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

I had the same problem with the 6 led bulbs, both of them were a bit too big but they pushed in just fine. I've had a lot better luck with incandescent bulbs in the gauges, and I suspect they'll work better in the HVAC too. Although for those I'm contemplating taking the whole thing apart and cutting a custom gel for it, because the red part of the temp dial turns purple at night. It just doesn't look right that way.

EDIT: I left the 74 leds in the gauge cluster because they light the needles up really well, and I have the PCP faces so I don't have to worry about hot spots. I would recommend mixing bulbs with leds to get rid of the hot spots on the outside...

Comment

Originally posted by Lil Freek
                    any pics as of yet?

i tried, but none would come out

jnorion, the 6 LED bulbs are pretty close to the same brightness as the regular 194 red bulbs i was using. hopefully this week i'll get around to doing my HVAC controls.

Comment

I was going to say that the HVAC controls are really easy and then I remembered you have that weird setup... I'd like to see pictures when you're done.

Comment

sorry for the ignorance..
                        what do you mean "hot spots"?

RB springs
                        Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

If the light is uneven, the parts that are brighter than others are called hot spots.

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
                            I was going to say that the HVAC controls are really easy and then I remembered you have that weird setup... I'd like to see pictures when you're done.

lol, i'd just like to finish it

Comment

anyone done the green key light? does it take a 194 or 74? i have extra blue 194's and would take apart my steering column to replace the green light, but if it's a 74 that'll have to wait....

Comment

Originally posted by nai8o5
                                anyone done the green key light? does it take a 194 or 74? i have extra blue 194's and would take apart my steering column to replace the green light, but if it's a 74 that'll have to wait....

my car didn't come with a key light

Comment

Working...
                                X