Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blower motor going?

Hey CP

I've got a 2000 protege 1.8 and I think the blower motor might be going, seemed to be louder than usual on setting 1, higher settings the sound isn't as noticeable but I think that's due to the high volume of air moving around. And by louder than usual its making a lot of noise for a fan that should be working normally, no squeaking or sounds of death, just louder than norm, normal operation.

Are these a pain to replace? Expensive? When will I know its dead and how could I possibly prevent or slow it's demise?

blower motor

not that pain to replace mate. try this shor if you wanted
    1. Turn the fan switch off. 2. Press the recirculation control switch and the rear window defogger switch. 3. While holding both switches down, turn the ignition ON (II), then release both switches. The recirculation indicator and the rear window defogger indicator come on. The recirc. indicator goes off 2 seconds later and the A/C indicator comes on, then the self-diagnostic will begin. About 10 seconds later, the self-diagnostic will finish and the A/C indicator will go off.
    If any trouble is found, the recirculation indicator blinks the DTC (diagnostic trouble code) to indicate a faulty circuit or component. If the system is ok, the indicator stays off.

DTC (recirc. indication blinks)

7 - An open in the air mix control motor circuit
    8 - A short in the air mix control motor circuit
    9 - A problem in the air mix control linkage, door, or motor
    10 - An open or short in the mode control motor circuit
    11 - A problem in the mode control linkage, doors, or motor
    12 - A problem in the blower motor circuit
    13 - A problem in the EEPROM in the heater control panel; the panel must be replaced
    14 - (with A/C) An open in the evaporator temperature sensor circuit
    15 - (with A/C) A short in the evaporator temperature sensor circuit

In case of multiple problems, the recirc. indicator will indicate only the DTC with the least number of blinks. In case of an intermittent failure, the heater control panel will store the DTC until the ignition is turned off.

hope it helps.

Comment

I'd check the cage for the motor first, see if it's full of debris before you up and spend the money on a new motor.
      1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

Working...
      X