Driver Door Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driver Door Rust

Looking for some help with a rust problem my daughter's new-to-her 2002 DX has. The bottom of the drivers door has a fair amount of rust on it on the inside. (Pics attached) No other door has any rust. Two things I am looking for help with:

First, I need to find the source of the rust problem. Inspecting all four doors I only find weep holes on the rear doors. How does water drain out of the front doors? Is it possible this rust started on the outside? What can I examine/correct to keep water out of the door?

Second, I would like to treat the rust with a converter (like POR-15) and possibly an encapsulator (like Fluid Film). Anyone have a similar problem that they have successfully solved? Thanks!
    Attached Files

my 2003 has rust in the same areas. if you have a fix/way to clean it up please let us know

Comment

did you ever find a fix? the rust hasn't grown much, but I discovered water sloshing around inside my passenger side door after a day of rain. it'll probably worsen the rust situation even more

Comment

Look at the bottom of the door. There are drains there that are plugged. Clean them out. There will always be some water that gets into the door hence the drains

Sent from my iPhone5
        using Tapatalk

Comment

yea I had to wiggle the weatherstripping on the bottom of the door and it started pouring out the water. i'd guess under a pint or so how much water got stuck in there

Comment

great tip, popped off the little white tabs with the black rubber flap. cleaned it out as best I could, it was gunked up. also broke a tab, i'm sure there is a correct way to pop them off but a couple had to be sacrificed to the gods. whats the proper treatment for the rust that is already there? sand, prime, and paint? can that be done over the spot, or should the entire door be redone? also what about the seam that holds the inner skin to the outer skin? should a professional do that? thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X