Dim Instrument cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dim Instrument cluster

I just bought a 2002 Protege 5 and the instrument cluster is really dim. Granted, it may be that a P.O. changed bulbs or something, but even with the adjustment all the way up, they are very dim. It's also this orangey-red color which I think is normal?

some fresh bulbs ought to help. two size 194/168 bulbs and four or more size 74 bulbs. look for the how-to on removing the cluster, also have a towel to cover the steering wheel/column because it scratches easily when you are trying to fiddle around in the tight space.

the bulbs are covered with a pink/reddish condom. removing the condom will yield brighter light but you will lose some of the red tint. i keep the condoms in because i prefer the red tint as your eyes adjust to red (and green) wavelengths very easily at night.

another option is bright red LEDs. you will have to experiment with the LEDs because some typs will leave hotspots. certain areas will be really dim, while the area directly infront of the LED will be really bright. try to find LEDs with the widest angle or 360 degree output.

-meGrimlock

Comment

Working...
    X