Powering Amp P5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powering Amp P5

Just a quick question, may be odd but if it works out it will make my life easier,
    Is there a power source i could use from the trunk to power my amp. Id like to avoid leading a wire from the front.

Thanks
    Seb

No, there is no high current source capable of powering an amp in the trunk. You will have to run a B+ cable from the battery. You could ground in the trunk area however, to avoid running a separate ground cable.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

I ran the positive lead from the battery along the inner door sill on the driver's side, using existing bracketry and whatnot to keep it in place. I then grounded the amp to one of the rear seat brackets after sanding the paint off.

It's really not that much of a pain to run the cable through the cabin. I didn't even take my seats out. Hardest part would be finding a spit to pull it through the firewall. I drilled a hole in the plastic clutch plate since my car is automatic.

Comment

If i go right from the battery wont that give constant power to my amp, draining my battery.
        Sorry iv never installed amp power directly from the battery, my old car had good grade power in the trunk.

Comment

No, it won't. There should be a power turn on lead from the headunit, a small gauge wire leading to the amp, that turns it on and off depending on whether the headunit is on or off. My Alpine headunit has a bright blue turn on lead. Not sure what to do if you're using the stock headunit, though.

Comment

You can also run a heavy gauge wire from the battery positive terminal to the contacts of a HD relay (SPST, normally off type) and from there to the head unit. Then connect the coil terminal of the relay to a wire that's live only when the ignition switch is on. Then, the relay will be energized (and pass current to the head unit) only when the ignition switch is on.

Happy Motoring!
            Last edited by goldstar; 03-03-2012, 11:44 AM.
            02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
            MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
            MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
            Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
            MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
            Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
            Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
            Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
            Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
            Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
            Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
            Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
            Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Working...
            X