Headlight Turn Signal Bulb Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight Turn Signal Bulb Replacement

I have 2002 Mazda Protege ES 2.0. Both of my front turn signal lights are out and the owners manual says contact your Mazda Dealer for replacement. I tried to replace them myself, but geezus how do u GET to the bulbs? I managed to remove the white clips, but after that......hmmm.

Thank you.

sorry for the late reply, i replaced a couple bulbs last week and took a look at the turn signal lights after reading this post. the turn signals on the headlamp are on the inside of the headlight assembly closest to the center grille. a simple counter-clockwise twist on the gray socket will remove the socket from the assembly. here you can pull the bulb out and install the new bulb. recommend replacing both at the same time, in most cases the new bulb will be brighter. not really an issue since its only the turn signal but you might as well while youve popped the hood open.

Comment

Thank you for replying, but you must not have the same Protege. You state the turn signal light is located closest to the centre grille, but my turn signal lights are on the outer most part of the headlamp assembly.Click image for larger version

Name:	JM1BJ225420539363-1c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1231075.

Comment

you mean those amber corners? they're just as easy. also a grey connector that twists off. use a 168 or 194 compatible bulb, pull the old bulb out of the grey connector and replace with new. nothing needs to be moved but small hands help

Comment

Originally posted by meGrimlock View Post
          you mean those amber corners? they're just as easy. also a grey connector that twists off. use a 168 or 194 compatible bulb, pull the old bulb out of the grey connector and replace with new. nothing needs to be moved but small hands help

Small hands??? I'm a girl and I still can't get my hand in there enough to twist anything out. I was able to pull the connector out with some pliers, but there was no bulb...it's buried DEEP inside. I'm gonna have to take pics and show you...I don't think it's so easy...even the owners manual says contact your Mazda Dealer. I'll be back with pics. Thanks!

Comment

I had no problem pulling either of the bulbs discussed in this thread.

Comment

I have a 96 protege and it shares those kinds of turning lenses, except on my car those are fog lights. The turning signals are oval shaped bars above the air dam / below the headlights.

To get that lens off, there is a screw(or bolt) that was attaching a finger-width piece of plastic to the headlight fixture. Undo that, then take a screwdriver and pry the lens loose (It should pop out, mine did after SQUEEZING my giant meathook of a hand into that tiny space and taking the bulb socket out of the lens and trying to put it back in) then take the socket holding the bulb out, replace the bulb (Mine was a small 168 type bulb), put it back in and just pop the lens back into place. As the manuals always say, "Installation is the reverse order of removal."

Yours might be different, but once I figured out how to actually access the bulb rather than trying to break all the knuckles in my hand squeezing it in there, it took 5 minutes total to change both bulbs. If its too hard, you're probably missing an important step to make it easier.

Comment

Working...
              X