Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well... Ridiculous rattling coming from trunk...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well... Ridiculous rattling coming from trunk...

Kind of curious as to what would cause the rattle... I can tell you it's from under the spare tire cover. I would have taken it off and looked... But I have a subwoofer box that literally fills my entire trunk. 18 inch subwoofer... 5 cubic foot box. It started when the sub was first installed and running. It sounds like a metal plate bouncing on metal. I noticed today that it's only getting worse as now I get said rattle at idle points when the car is in neutral...
    I don't really want to remove the 50+ pound subwoofer box from the trunk when it's raining outside.. I'm just curious what there is down there that would cause such a rattle? And, if there is something, if it would be harming to leave it be, or should I remove the box and cover as soon as I possibly get a chance to?
    2003 Protege LX
    Viper 550 Alarm System w/remote start

the bolt that holds the space saver wheel down...?...
    91 GT- Li'l Bee (under construction)
    2013 Honda Accord V6 coupe - 14.7 sec. 1/4 mile

New Thread:
    Wilyb's 91 Pro GT Rebuild: Li'l B: http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...Rebuild-Li-l-B

Old Threads:

WilyB's 93 GT rebuild worklog : http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...-93-GT-rebuild
    My FE3 worklog thread:http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...ighlight=wilyb

sigpic

Comment

Let the midget out of your trunk!
      2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
      1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

you forgot the trunk monkey and he's pissed

Comment

It could be the back seat, that folds down, is not latched.

Comment

The spare wheel bolt, jack, lug wrench.

Comment

Well judging by how much my trunk flexes when the bass is going I think there may be a gorilla back there trying to get out!

This rattling is with the seats down. The jack and the tools are sitting just fine, it literally seems like something on top of the spare tire. I can reach in and grab the spare tire and it is rock solid so I know it's not loose, I'm assuming something right on it is loose lol. I may just take the box out today but that sombitch is heavy!
              2003 Protege LX

Comment

Originally posted by ryanthie View Post
                Well judging by how much my trunk flexes when the bass is going I think there may be a gorilla back there trying to get out!
                Or maybe a monkey?

Happy Motoring!
                02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
                  LOL That gave me a good laugh!

I found the problem... Was the plate (can't remember the name) that bolts to the spare tire in there... Bolt came out about 6 full turns within the last couple weeks. 18 inch subwoofer+1500w+small car=loose parts.
                  2003 Protege LX

Comment

Working...
                  X