Gear Indicator Window Install - 02 Protege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear Indicator Window Install - 02 Protege

When we bought my daughter's car, the indicator panel (PRND321) was missing. Got a new one, and now need to figure out how to disassemble the top of the console to put it in. Thx in advance

2002 Protege DX
    Vail, AZ

Well, success for the most part. Got the gear selector panel installed. Now the daughter can know what gear she's in. But, without help in knowing how things come apart, I broke something in the process. Whatever this little switch is below the shifter release button... I didn't notice it when pulling off the shift knob and pulled it's two wires out. Now, I need to figure out what it's for and solder them back on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-08-25 16.03.46.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1237303

2002 Protege DX
    Vail, AZ

Comment

It's the hold button for keeping the car in the gear its presently in. Leave it broken.
      Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
      kitty, you are a hilarious woman
      Originally posted by HopelessCow
      there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
      Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitty View Post
        It's the hold button for keeping the car in the gear its presently in. Leave it broken.
        Thx. Sounds like a function my daughter would never use. More so sounds like something she would accidentally activate and then call me asking why her car won't up-shift.

2002 Protege DX
        Vail, AZ

Comment

the little beige button is the OD (overdrive) selector, the big Chrome button is the gear select switch (hold button as described by Kitty). which one is broken? for most normal driving, you can leave the car in overdrive its not a big deal. if you are experiencing issues I would resolder the wires for the OD selector.

I found this post on another forum about resoldering the OD wires.
          Update.....here's the deal should someone else have to do this. It's pretty easy with the basic tools.

I found the 2 wires to the back of the OD switch broke off. I pulled the handle off, resoldered and heatshrinked two new 4" wires back on and fed it thru the handle and the switch hole. Make sure you use similar size, flexible wire. I used multistrand wire. Reinstall the handle but don't screw it in just yet (You will need to push the handle shifter button in, then slide the handle down). Cut off the excess wire and leave approx 1" to 1-1/4" of wire exposed from the switch hole. Put some solder on the wire ends and switch terminals. Go easy on the switch with the heat. Once done, now solder the switch back on remembering to....be easy with the heat! Ops check the switch to make sure that was indeed the problem and the OD light goes on/off. Once soldered back on, GENTLY pull the handle back off until the wire starts to pull the switch back into the hole....help feed it in and go SLOW. Once there, the switch will easily seat back into the hole. Gently push the handle back on. Ops check the switch one more time. If good, screw the handle in.....put the tools up and go get a cool one.
          hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by meGrimlock View Post
            the little beige button is the OD (overdrive) selector, the big Chrome button is the gear select switch (hold button as described by Kitty). which one is broken? for most normal driving, you can leave the car in overdrive its not a big deal. if you are experiencing issues I would resolder the wires for the OD selector.

I found this post on another forum about resoldering the OD wires.

hope this helps
            Little beige one. So, I guess it's the OD Selector button. I'll look into it. Thx.

2002 Protege DX
            Vail, AZ

Comment

Working...
            X