Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

low idle bog, CEl and the friendly smoke from the exhuast.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

low idle bog, CEl and the friendly smoke from the exhuast.

It's pretty sad when my 87 turbo II smokes less than my 99 protege. this kinda just started to happen within the month or so. Well the check engine light has always been on for the last year. I had it scanned at work and it said to replace the cat, which is bene done already.

Now when i rev-match when decelerating poofs of smoke comes out every time i push in the gas to get the revs up. When i put it into first when coming to a red light and i stop completely i look to the right and see some smoke going from the back to front of my car.

Another thing is luging out. I'll be at a light and it turns green and i accelerate (normaly) and the car bogs almost violently like something is cutting it out until to starts to smooth out and then drives normaly. this doens't happen all the time but it does quite often

any ideas?
    sigpic
    1987 Rx7 TurboII (Stripped and Crush R.I.P )
    1987 Rx7 Sport (Street port Rebuild almost done.)
    2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe w/ sports package

I always blame the maf for everything that goes wrong with the 1.6l's it sounds like the second problem.

I have no idea on the smoke though. What color is it? That would help alot in finding the problem.

Comment

i would believe it is a black smoke. i can only see it through my dark tint so i guess it all looks black. black is fuel and blue is oil right?

i was thinking maybe it's the coil pack or something. not getting enough spark at low rpms causing unburnt fuel and boging. i dunno. i'm no expert. i'm going to have the mechanic at work scan it again. maybe there is something different. perhaps a 02 sensor maybe?
      Last edited by .Zero; 04-19-2005, 11:36 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

white is coolant, black can either be small amounts of oil or running rich, i am betting on rich, with the maf could be makin it run to rich and when it burns it out it runs right.. yet again looks like the maf is the cluprit.. see if you can get a scan tool and read if you are running rich when you notice the poor performance..

Comment

also , do the smell test, does it smell like burt oil or burnt fuel.. u would be supprised how many cars i have diagnosed startin here..

Comment

funny how those 2 things are the only common things that go out.. everything else on the car is pretty tough..

Comment

Have to agree with Edwin on this one. What code is it throwing ??

Comment

I apologize. typically i'm pretty good at giving infomation when i state my problem.

yeah i have a 1.6l with 120,000 miles on it. I havn't scanned it yet tho. My mechanic at my work isn't the friendlist of people.

I priced out a O2 senor before becuase when i changed out the cat the mechanic told me thats what would do normaly and there like $460. wasn't very happy with that price at all and i'm afraid to see how much a maf sensor is.
                sigpic

Comment

re maned is about 200

Comment

that makes me feel much better =) i'll go look online for one.

update:

yeah i found one for 98 bucks for a universal one and 198 for a OEM style one. i'll go if the oem style unless the universal one is not so complicated to install. i'm sure i'll have to splice some wires and what not.

havn't found a mass air flow sensor tho
                    Last edited by .Zero; 04-20-2005, 10:56 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

get a remaned from mazda, i did and it works in my ebay sri..

Comment

remmeber how much it costed you back in the day? just to get a rough idea how much
                        sigpic

Comment

it costed about 200, an iac motor is 300 and i for got what th eupper o2 cost.. all total to replace the maf, iac motor, and upper o2, costed me 50 bucks, costed extended warrenty 950 bucks..

Comment

Working...
                          X