Battery light won't go off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JJB
    Another thing to check for a bad alternator is what happens to the voltage as you change RPM, there is a chance that it can look OK at idle (i.e. around 14VDC) but when you rev the engine the regulation is shot and it shoots up.

I have had this happen (not on my pro) and putting 18VDC on the battery for a while also causes it to die...

that would mean that part of the ECU is shot, since that's what controls it

there's a good possibility that when the old battery went dead, it's internal voltage dropped, so when the car was running, the alternator could only put out about 12-13 volts. the only way to know what the problem is will be to test it. if the car has been run a few times on the new battery, and still cranks up fine, it doesn't sound like the alternator could be bad, since the battery is still getting charged.

Comment

check and make sure the air temp sensor is plugged in correctly also(the probe looking thing on the air box), mine went bad and the battery light came on.
      '02 classic red p5
      currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

the air temp sensor seems fine..
        my car won't start, again... i KNOW it's not the battery.. and i don't know enough about cars to fix anything myself.. just stuck my hand in and made sure all the wiring was tight and nothing was flailing around...

i think that when my dealership changed my throttle position sensor, they must have ****ed something up, since it's only since then that i've been having problems (and they are the most incompetent people on earth)

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
        RB springs
        Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
        MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

if the battery is dead now, then it's the alternator

Comment

yeah.. it was the alternator.
            they replaced it for me this morning...
            works fine now, battery light is off 'n the car starts without any hassle

RB springs
            Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Originally posted by Lil Freek
              yeah.. it was the alternator.
              they replaced it for me this morning...
              works fine now, battery light is off 'n the car starts without any hassle

that's good. i was under the imression that you had been driving it, and started it a couple of times

Comment

after i got the battery.. it started like 3-4 times, at most. the fourth time.. that's when it started having troubles.. and then it just gave out on the road..

RB springs
                Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

what dealership are you using?
                  midnightblue mica 2002 protege 5
                  mods include:
                  thermal cat back exhaust, intake, b&m short shifter, kartboy shifter bushing, MP3 petals, act sports clutch with aluminum fly wheel, Kenwood MP8017 HU, infinity 6.5" speakers infront, polk audio 6.5" speakers in back, bazooka 10" RS 150 watt sub tube with remote, 350 watt amp, compustar alarm/remote starter,jspec intake cam, MS exhaust cam
                  to be installed: spool stage 1 turbo kit,MS #3 engine mount,kartboy exhuast hangers

Comment

carling motors... where I bought the car.
                    I have a long list of problems with the little counter people.. so whenever I go in, now, I just go straight to the manager, and he takes care of me... so it's not all bad

RB springs
                    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Working...
                    X