Car shuts off suddenly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car shuts off suddenly

I have an 03 protege wagon. Over the past few months, the engine has suddenly shut down while I am driving. I took it in to the dealer, but they have been unable to diagnose it. This has happened at various speeds; most recently while I was on the freeway going only 30 mph. None of the warning lights come on while I am driving.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I had a simular problem with a 94 LX, does it crank back up like nothing happened or after you wait awhile ? Not running hot is it ?
    If it can be done wrong, I will...somehow I always finish tearing things up before I can fix'em ...

Comment

It starts up fine afterwards. No, it is not running hot. I had it looked at and they could not "duplicate the problem" so were unable to diagnose it....

Comment

How many miles on it ? Mine turned out to be a fuel pump going out...it was semi-clogged and would electrically overheat and the ECU [the car's computer] would shut it down...where you took the car did they check the ECU for any codes it might been sending out...
        If it can be done wrong, I will...somehow I always finish tearing things up before I can fix'em ...

Comment

could easily be the ECU or fuel pump - how many miles are on the car?

ProtegeGarage.com - Over 525 parts shipped WORLDWIDE for your Mazda Protege, Mazda3, Mazda5, Mazda6, MX-5 and Mazda RX-8
          email :: Ken@mazda3online.com
          Phone :: (847) 223-6890
          Cell Phone :: (847) 736-1635

We Accept Visa, MasterCard, PayPal, Check and Money Order

CLICK HERE FOR BG CHASSIS CARBON FIBER HOODS

Comment

Originally posted by Protege Garage
            could easily be the ECU or fuel pump - how many miles are on the car?
            My car has 56,000 miles on it. The shop said that they didn't get any codes when they did the diagnostics...

Comment

The dreaded "have to let it break completely before the problem can be found" syndrome, what quality gas have you been using...good stuff or cheap stuff ?

Comment

I'm using the lower octane gas...

Comment

No signs of an electrical problems, recently replaced fuse[s] or relay[s] ? Have you had this car long or bought it recently, if so did you take it back to the people you bought it from...sorry only questions with no answers so far, but will try to help with what info you can post...oh yeah, has it done it again or more frequently...

Comment

I bought it new three years ago. It is still under dealer warrantly, but of course they could find nothing. It hasn't done it again for over two weeks....

Comment

I have had the same problem with my '03 P5. I have never had the problem while driving. I have had my P5 die after idling at a stop light and then pressing the accelerator to go when the light turns green. This has probably happened at least 10 times since I bought the car. I bought the car new three years ago. I have never taken it to be looked at because the car starts right back up and no warning lights come on. I don't have any answers either but at least you aren't the only one having this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by beau_1999
                        I have had the same problem with my '03 P5. I have never had the problem while driving. I have had my P5 die after idling at a stop light and then pressing the accelerator to go when the light turns green. This has probably happened at least 10 times since I bought the car. I bought the car new three years ago. I have never taken it to be looked at because the car starts right back up and no warning lights come on. I don't have any answers either but at least you aren't the only one having this problem.
                        well i have the same problem except i know that mines shuts of after marking half tank empty i asked a friend i know who works on car and is a nechanic and he says that the fuel pump is probably to high and isnt reaching the bottom fuel cause i told him this problem started when i got the fuel tank replaced after having a leak on the old one but i still havent gotten to get it cheked out cause i have no moneys now...lol....it gets annoying when it keeps turning off....any help ??
                        Check out my vBPicGallery homies!

Comment

I solved this problem on my Protege 1.8L 2001 just cleaning fuel injectors.

Comment

Working...
                          X