A/C freon?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C freon?!

OK... My wifes a/c has been slowly getting warmer and warmer and I was thinking about recharging it. But I wasn't sure what kinda of freon it uses.

I was thinking about a kit from Advanced but i'm not really that sure. I know its not that hard to do. Just need some info. Thanx

-Wayne
    01 proto...jew know?

I'd take it somewhere and have them do it so that they fill it up and put a dye in and check to see if there is a leak in the A.C. system. Thats what we do at our shop. If it's a newer car it'll more than likely use R134a freon.

Comment

and if it is an older car that uses r-12 you need to have it professionally charged because they but clean the system of any r-12 oil

the oils used for r-12 and r-134a are not compatible. good luck
      Daily Driver--'07 Traitor Corolla--Traded for a '11 Chevy Cruze--Traded for a '12 Dodge Charger
      Project Car - looking for a clean AWD Protege, or maybe a monster Miata donor

Comment

It uses r-134a

Comment

I never even looked to see what chassi it was
          Daily Driver--'07 Traitor Corolla--Traded for a '11 Chevy Cruze--Traded for a '12 Dodge Charger

Comment

Well as far as I know its a BJ. It's an '01.. and from the info gathered that's what I have figured.

Well I figured I would have a place do this anyways. This is one of those areas of a car that I don't like messing with anyways. Do to the fact of the cost of repair.

What do you guys think it would cost to have to charged?
            01 proto...jew know?

Comment

if you go to a shop, well around here it would cost about $40 for the freon and the dye, and $35 an hour for labor, plus cost of fxing any leaks, if is an '01 then it should just be an o-ring, call it worst case $110, if you go to a good shop and they get done quick, maybe less... but get them to find the leak

anyone want to get him prices from there area to help him out?

Comment

Originally posted by Sentrixx View Post
                Well as far as I know its a BJ. It's an '01.. and from the info gathered that's what I have figured.

Well I figured I would have a place do this anyways. This is one of those areas of a car that I don't like messing with anyways. Do to the fact of the cost of repair.

What do you guys think it would cost to have to charged?
                Your freon probably turned into hot gas, so you probably just neet for them to evacuate it and refill it with R134-a freon. My 99 4Runner is starting to not get as cold as she did when she was new so im about to have the same thing done. And and im not sure how much it costs it all depends on how many lbs. of freon that your system takes.
                1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD
                http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462

sigpic

Comment

Well ya know... something else that I noticed that is weird. Is that right when you turn on the A/C. One, Three and four work right off the bat. But two seems not to turn on the compressor unless you go to three first. Is that normal for a leak? Or just some sort of short. I mean that doesn't bother me all that much because in Florida. It's always on 4!
                  01 proto...jew know?

Comment

Originally posted by hit25cal View Post
                    if you go to a shop, well around here it would cost about $40 for the freon and the dye, and $35 an hour for labor, plus cost of fxing any leaks, if is an '01 then it should just be an o-ring, call it worst case $110, if you go to a good shop and they get done quick, maybe less... but get them to find the leak

anyone want to get him prices from there area to help him out?
                    Yeah... if anyone knows of a place local in 33409. That's in west palm fla. That would be kick ass help. I would appreciate it.
                    01 proto...jew know?

Comment

Originally posted by TurboProto View Post
                      Your freon probably turned into hot gas, so you probably just neet for them to evacuate it and refill it with R134-a freon. My 99 4Runner is starting to not get as cold as she did when she was new so im about to have the same thing done. And and im not sure how much it costs it all depends on how many lbs. of freon that your system takes.

freon doesnt change state. it doesnt get used up either. it leaks.

if your ac is getting warmer the most likely cause is a leak. most shops use dyes to find the leak but the local car-parts shops do sell recharge kits with the dye included.

i use a " sniffer" when i work on refrigeration to try and spot the leaks but it's too sensitive for automotive

Comment

Originally posted by Sentrixx View Post
                        Well ya know... something else that I noticed that is weird. Is that right when you turn on the A/C. One, Three and four work right off the bat. But two seems not to turn on the compressor unless you go to three first. Is that normal for a leak? Or just some sort of short. I mean that doesn't bother me all that much because in Florida. It's always on 4!

compressor is run directly off the motor ( belt driven ) do you mean the fan?

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaNoob View Post
                          freon doesnt change state. it doesnt get used up either. it leaks.
                          Vapor to a liquid is changing state. Compressor pushes vapor to condenser were it changes to liquid. Then its pushed to evaporator and changed from liquid to vapor.
                          Mx3 RS,BP-turbo
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805

Comment

properly corrected, i miss worded that sorry. what i ment to say is it doesnt get used up.

Comment

I have the same problem with my A/C. Only time I get cold air is late at night when Im driving moderately fast, windows down and vents open with cold air coming into the car. I turn on the A/C unit and get nothing but hot air. So I too need a good shop around the 33569 (or 33578), 33511 zip codes.

Comment

Working...
                              X