How do my rotors look? (see pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do my rotors look? (see pics)

I am about to change my brakes for the first time since I purchased the car brand new (6 years ago). I've read about several issues that rotors could have: cracks, hotspots, warpage, grooves, and rust.

How do my rotors look? Should I replace them? I would rather not replace them if I don't have to.

they look good, as long as you dont have pulsating while braking and there is no grooves in the rotor they are fine, just scuff them up with some sandpaper to get rid of the glaze and plop in some new pads, make sure to clean and lube the sliders and clean and put a little lube where the pads sit on the caliper bracket and your good to go
    91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

and keep some brake parts cleaner handy incase you get some grease on the surface of the rotor, or pad.
      wipe both of those right before assembly.
      Next!
      sigpic

Comment

any idea where the brake pad wear indicator is? according to the Protege 5 service manual, the minimum thickness is .079. My brakes look close to .125. I cant seem to the find the indicator to see how close they are.

Regardless, I'm going to replace the brakes within the next week. They jack stands I purchased are to tall to fit under the car. I bough the 3-ton ones at Walmart since I have a truck also. I may just have to buy a small set for my Protege 5 and Miata.

Comment

the pad indicater is the small metal pad on one of the brake pads, when it gets there you are suppose to replace, earlier saves your rotors
          91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Anything less then 3mm in front and 2mm in rear ( for disc) you need to replace.
            Mx3 RS,BP-turbo
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805

Comment

Update

I took all of the wheel off to look at the break and rotor wear. The Front rotors looks about the same while the rear rotors look like they are in better condition. I took some measurements (rough estimate) and it looks like I definitely have to change the front brakes. I was trying to find where the wear indicator was, and I think I found it on the picture below. Per the Protege 5 manual, the brake pads should be .079 in min thickness. Im going to do the front brakes next weekend and the rears probably over the summer (or earlier depending how on easy the fronts are).

Front Pads

Rear Pads

Wear Indicator ??

Comment

on the rotors you would want to check the inside more closely than the outside because thats where the most pressure is.
                I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                |.....Overnight....................| ||
                |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Originally posted by wheresthericego View Post
                  on the rotors you would want to check the inside more closely than the outside because thats where the most pressure is.
                  Yep, I checked the back also. I didnt feel an grooves. I guess the only way to see any warping is to take it off and put it on a lathe. I dont feel any tell tale signes of warped rotors while driving, so they should be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by mnkyboy View Post
                    Yep, I checked the back also. I didnt feel an grooves. I guess the only way to see any warping is to take it off and put it on a lathe. I dont feel any tell tale signes of warped rotors while driving, so they should be ok.
                    Warping will be very noticable under braking. You will feel a vibration as you brake
                    I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                    |.....Overnight....................| ||
                    |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                    |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                    "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                    Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Working...
                    X