This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
    whats your preference on "exide" batteries vs other competition?
    I really don't have a preference. The only reason I bought an Exide again was because the previous one lasted so long and it was the cheapest I could find at this time. I think Optima Red Top, Sears Diehard Platinum and Odyssey are at least as good, if not better, than the Exide, and any one of these would have been fine with me. However, all of these other brands were more expensive so I figured that the Exide was a good bet for now.

I had installed an Optima Red Top in my wife's '06 3 but since it was totaled I have no longevity data on it.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

fair answer
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I too have an exide orbital. I got it 2 years ago and was hoping the battery would last a while, just last week, because of the cold, the battery died and needed a jump start. it still takes a few extra turns to start the car. this winter is the first real test of the battery. is this the sign of another part, perhaps the alternator that needs attention?

Comment

Considering the longevity of my Orbital I would check the alternator output and have a load test done on the battery.

Happy Motoring!
          02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
          MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
          MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
          Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
          Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
          Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
          Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
          Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
          Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
          Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

+1. It has been rather cold out here recently (I'm in NoVA, not too far from you), but a 2-year old AGM battery should be more than capable of handling it. Check the belt tension/condition while you're at it; a loose alternator belt can reduce charging efficiency too. The terminals may need to be cleaned, as well. If that all checks out, you may have a bad cell or two.
            1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

installed my rear wiper motor (a used replacement-re greased really well)
              just in time for a fresh snowfall- end result, I'm extremely happy to have my rear window visible again
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Looked at my P5 after finding out that I need new ball joints and said to myself: Why have I neglected you? You need a make over Protege 5! Build thread to be continued...

Comment

^ i didn't know you owned a P5....
                  PS the FE3 bolts right up to the FS transmission

Comment

i'm losing brake fluid somehow. looking for signs of a leak under the hood, a couple Mormon missionaries offered to help (also trying to share their testimony). they pulled up in a rental car. I thought those guys just rode around on bicycles. mind blown.

Comment

^ standard cardboard under all 4 tires & let it sit overnight. check & find out which corner may be leaking. also check inside to see if its the master leaking.

Comment

thanks, found the leak under the left (driver side) front control arm. it is dripping from the clutch master cylinder, where it threads to the hard pipe. the threaded nut was loose for some reason. wiped the area (got some damaged paint under the cylinder now) , re-tightened, topped off the fluid, bled the clutch a little. no leaks so far.

Comment

cardboard trick worked well then eh? glad to hear you found the issue& got it resolved.

Comment

Tore out the front engine mount to inspect how bad it was....... ordered a replacement. nuff said

Comment

I hate that engine mount. the bushing has broken on me 2x, I don't even flog the car. I put RR-Racing polyurethane inserts in it. seems to be good, and better compromise to NVH of a full polyurethane bushing.

Comment

i hope mine doesn't shake to **** once i fill the new replacement mount.

Comment

Working...
                                X