Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quite honestly. that screw (allen key) adjustment is a far superior design then the newer style on the 6. screwing the caliper piston back in & tearing the rubber boots is a failure IMHO. not only that but you need alot more force & a special tool far more expensive then a standard allen key.

if you grind your stock rear calipers a small bit, use late model 626 brackets(or caliper & bracket combo[easiest]) you can keep your e-brake. the 6 calipers you lose that functionality unless you buy special cables.
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Mevotech front end links MK80258. build and features looks similar to the Moog Escape/Tribute end links. except these are the same length as the OEM protégé end links.

2 years ago with the help of a friend it took me 2, 8 hour days, to remove the old ones, and I think I didn't torque them correctly because they already went bad. the balljoint was loose in the socket and was causing a lot of noise and sloppy handling. this time around, a different friend took 1.5 hours for both sides using my hand tools (and not even bothering with the vice grips or nut splitters I had to deal with). blah.

a couple worries: I greased it with lucas xtra heavy duty. reading up on the xtra heavy duty, it looks like it has a polyurea thickener which many mfg say is incompatible with lithium greases (the most common kind) so i'm afraid some tech is going to see the fittings at my next visit and try to grease them with whatever grease is lying around.

second: does the car need to be on the ground before torqueing? it was up on jack stands when we installed them. im wondering if that's why they failed so soon last time.

Comment

tightening them ont he ground or in the air will make no difference. nice replacements tho!
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Put in a sizable RockAuto order today for the upcoming P5 "back to school" activities. Got a new radiator and upper/lower hoses, timing belt kit along with new accessory belts, door lock actuator, valve cover gasket, and spark plugs. I'll grab a pair of Duralast ignition coils from AutoZone, since they have a lifetime warranty.

Picking up the car Wed. All the parts should be here next week, but I'm out of town on business travel all week. So, I have one weekend to get it all done. This weekend will be focused on interior and exterior cleaning.
          2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium Wagon, 3.0L DOHC (my daily driver)
          2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0L (daughter's daily driver)
          2004 Ford Freestar SEL, 4.2L (kid's beater-mobile)
          2008 Nissan Titan SE, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 5.6L (hauler of stuff)
          2012 Camry LE, 2.4L (wife's daily driver)

Comment

new coils/coil pack will make a nice change to the P5

Comment

Clean the headlights looks ten times better

Comment

Originally posted by A_Grant View Post
                Clean the headlights looks ten times better
                One of the first things I did. No more yellow lenses.
                2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium Wagon, 3.0L DOHC (my daily driver)
                2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0L (daughter's daily driver)
                2004 Ford Freestar SEL, 4.2L (kid's beater-mobile)
                2008 Nissan Titan SE, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 5.6L (hauler of stuff)
                2012 Camry LE, 2.4L (wife's daily driver)

Comment

Replaced one of the ignition coils that was getting super seriously rusted out and causing me an idle problem.

Comment

any pictures of how it was rusted??? im wondering if mine is the same?

Comment

Here's what it looked like when on the engine. http://i.imgur.com/oI1iyxD.jpg

Here's it compared side by side with the new one. http://i.imgur.com/vSPR8lV.jpg?1

I figured to take care of it before it got too out of hand. My 93 Wrangler had a similar issue with its one coil and it ended up dying completely. Best to replace it now I thought instead of when I'm stranded somewhere.

Comment

oh good lord!! thats serious rust on a component like that

Comment

It's not the best that's for sure. Replace just it and magically my rough idle went away! I gotta get it over to the shop to replace a pulley I believe. It's so loud and screeching, need to get it swapped out.

P5 is a lot different than the 94 Protege I had when I signed up on this forum. I forgot all about it until I was googling for things.

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                            tightening them ont he ground or in the air will make no difference. nice replacements tho!
                            For stock end-links with a decent amount of play you can get away with doing them in the air, but I'd still recommend people do them with the suspension loaded.
                            It's one of the few reasons I find drive on lifts useable.

I've used mevotech droplinks before, I'd say they were as good as moog in the application I used them. Plus BLUE!
                            Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
                            kitty, you are a hilarious woman
                            Originally posted by HopelessCow
                            there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                            Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Changed Engine Oil

As usual, I selected the Nectar of the Gods, Redline 5W-30 for my engine's lifeblood. It's certainly pricey and the cost seems to go up every year but after all it is a defined Group 5 Polyol ester base oil. I get it at my local speed shop and it cost $11.49 per quart + $3.32 state theft for a total of $49.18. I have switched from the Mazda filter to the Mobil 1 type which cost $14.99 + $1.05 state theft for a total of $16.04 at Pep boys (part# M1-110). I use the larger filter (same pressure relief setting and specs) from the Mazda 626 V6 engine for its slightly greater oil volume and increased filtration media in place of the smaller one for the Protégé. Not that I consider the OEM filter to be inadequate since Mazda wouldn't shortchange us on something so important but what the hell it's certainly useful if one wishes to experiment with extended oil changes made possible with synthetic oils, although I still change my oil at 5,000 mile intervals.

Given all the great information on our Forum, it was a cinch to change the oil and filter.

As would be expected, the oil meets ILSAC GF-5 specs and is API rated SN/SM/SL/SJ/ and CF. All this and Polyol ester, too, what more could one want?

Happy Motoring!
                              02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                              MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                              MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                              Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                              MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                              Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                              Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                              Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                              Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                              Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                              Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                              Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                              Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

ran a can of seafoam through it.... had it laying around so figured wth why not.
                                Next up an oil change & to diagnose the front end clunking issue

Comment

Working...
                                X