This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
    considering its NOT an interference engine... why would you be angry its a timing belt. Chains are SERIOUSLY more difficult to replace. Personally I refuse to run/own a timing chain'd engine.

And shortly- why all OEM? if your worried about your wallet im sure you'll find the OEM or better replacements elsewhere for heaps cheaper.
    I'd rather swap a belt without breaking a sweat then dig into the engine to do such any day... Have fun adjusting the timing on the side of the road and or having to fix it on the spot!

Flyrtle 6.0 Dynojet @ 15psi on BP26 ECU 229.31 whp / 229.95 ft-lb
    HPLogic Mustang Dyno @ 15psi on MS1 v3 226 whp / 195 ft-lb [HD Video]
    Soon to be powered by a Precision snail on crack...

Add me on more pictures of my projects can be found there.

Comment

just for those who dont know, timing chains stretch too..

the MZR has a timing chain, and I wont be doing another one of those, 3 special tools are needed to set the timing on it.

EDIT: also goldstar incase you make the mistake I did on my FS, the timing marks on the cams are supposed to point towards each other. if it saves someone the headhache i had its worth it lol
      Last edited by MD323; 04-24-2012, 06:25 PM.
      "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
      -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
      *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
      172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
      New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

considering its NOT an interference engine... why would you be angry its a timing belt. Chains are SERIOUSLY more difficult to replace. Personally I refuse to run/own a timing chain'd engine.

And shortly- why all OEM? if your worried about your wallet im sure you'll find the OEM or better replacements elsewhere for heaps cheaper.
        The 3's timing chain doesn't require periodic replacement as does the timing belt in the Protege which is why I prefer a chain - one less maintenance item with which to deal. As for the parts, I won't necessarily buy them from Mazda but since I was there today I figured I'd cost them to get an idea of what to expect.

Happy Motoring!
        02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
        MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
        MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
        Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
        Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
        Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
        Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
        Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
        Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
        Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by MD323 View Post

the MZR has a timing chain, and I wont be doing another one of those, 3 special tools are needed to set the timing on it.

EDIT: also goldstar incase you make the mistake I did on my FS, the timing marks on the cams are supposed to point towards each other. if it saves someone the headhache i had its worth it lol
          Thanks for the advice. I already knew that and I have the FSM so I should be alright. It never hurts to be reminded of the proper proceedures, however, and I appreciate your help.

Happy Motoring!
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
            The 3's timing chain doesn't require periodic replacement as does the timing belt in the Protege which is why I prefer a chain - one less maintenance item with which to deal. As for the parts, I won't necessarily buy them from Mazda but since I was there today I figured I'd cost them to get an idea of what to expect.

Happy Motoring!
            the quote you posted is actually very good for OE parts. a complete non-OE water pump/timing belt kit can be had for around $300. nowadays many dealers will get inventory from 3rd party vendors (many OE parts are simply rebranded from various mfg anyway) so the lines between OE parts are increasingly blurred. good luck with the timing belt as the time involved for a n00b of my skill level was enough to scare me away and have someone else do it.

Comment

^
              Thank you for your good wishes. I'll do my best.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Originally posted by MD323 View Post

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
                The 3's timing chain doesn't require periodic replacement as does the timing belt in the Protege which is why I prefer a chain - one less maintenance item with which to deal.
                In reference to the recent discussion of timing belts vs. chains, I came across this item in the Tech Advice section (page 115) of the June 2012 issue of Road&Track magazine. A reader asked why timing chains seem to be making a comeback since he considers them old technology compared with belts. Here, without comment, is R&T's response, verbatim.

Yes, chains driving camshafts are older than rubber belts, but older doesn't mean inferior. In fact, chains have one major advantage over belts: durability. Try as they might, engineers have yet to make a "rubber band" cam drive that will absolutely live for 150,000 guaranteed miles, much less a quarter million or so.

As customers have come to demand essentially lifetime service-free vehicles, chains have regained favor. they are more expensive than belts, weigh a little more and need some engineeering to ensure they don't sing like Caruso. But they're tough as a Waffle House pork chop so they'll be on the job as long as anything else in the engine, and can easily take abuse from variable cam-timing actuators.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Comment

Ha! looks familiar.... great job!
                    91 GT- Li'l Bee (under construction)
                    2013 Honda Accord V6 coupe - 14.7 sec. 1/4 mile

New Thread:
                    Wilyb's 91 Pro GT Rebuild: Li'l B: http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...Rebuild-Li-l-B

Old Threads:

WilyB's 93 GT rebuild worklog : http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...-93-GT-rebuild
                    My FE3 worklog thread:http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...ighlight=wilyb

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wilyb View Post
                      Ha! looks familiar.... great job!
                      Way more cleaning left to the bay then it looks. I'd say another 24/36hrs and it should be ready to go in the garage for further work.

Comment

what are you using to clean the bay like that??
                        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

A little science and a little of the dark arcane arts! Didn't you know I'm a wizard?..

Comment

he uses a toothbrush

like the one in my FS thread, now somebody buy it!
                            "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                            -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                            *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                            172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                            New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

I DO NOW!!! put some magic into my engine bay. it needs a good cleaning

Originally posted by jinx View Post
                              A little science and a little of the dark arcane arts! Didn't you know I'm a wizard?..
                              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

my left rear caliper was leaking. took a look under on the landlord's driveway. he suggested replacing all rear calipers/rotors/pads for the sake of peace of mind. after getting the remanufactured calipers from the local NAPA auto, come to find the adjustment gear that retracts/pushes the piston in the new caliper is stripped. had to use 1 adjustment gear from the other caliper on both calipers. looks like thats something they dont check in the rebuilding process. so top tip: check the adjustment gear at the store or keep the one from the old caliper and reuse it.

also, the remanufactured calipers were painted black. nice touch EXCEPT it seems a ton of overspray got in the bolt holes and it was a pain in the butt rebolting everything as they were super tight. i guess a Mazda part wouldnt have these problems but they were nearly 3x the price.

been driving around and it seems like the pads aren't making contact with the rotors. does it sound like i might have to turn the adjustment gear again?

Comment

Working...
                                X