No announcement yet.

Protege Supe ups!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i wouldn't bother with a turbo on an automatic, either. luckily your buddy got the 2.0L and not the 1.6 of the '99 and '00 years. the only ECU swap is to get one off an MP3. it will advance the timing and not run so rich, as i understand it. he's got a few choices for intakes, whether it be CAI or shorty. as for headers, i think there are a few out now. i believe someone posted about a 10 hp gain with a header. unorthodox has a pully set, and cam gears and shafts are available. there are 2 short shifters that i know of, kartboy and some other one.

read through the FAQ from theMAN for more info. also do a search on here and read though other posts.

Comment

yeah we'll most likely be getting a CAI... hopefully from AEM, if they got any for the pro
      -Nim
      -----------------------------
      2002 Acura RSX Type S
      Arctic Blue Pearl
      OEM Body Skirts
      OEM Spoiler
      OEM Fogs
      Golden Logos
      Acura Interior Titanium Trim
      Window Visors
      Last But Not Least....
      Trunk Tray and Cargo Net!!!
      ---
      Modz: Yes
      ---
      NEW: Stage 2 Clutch!

Comment

hey where could you find a ecu from a MP3 cuz where im at i could put money that i won't find a MP3 in the junk yard, can i get one from mazda!?
        03 SILVER DX: 30% IN FRONT AND 20% TINT IN BACK, 600W SONY XPLOD AMP, 2 10'' SUBS, 3 3/8'' TACH W/SHIFT LIGHT
        check it out at
        members.cardomain.com/phoenixzero

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixzero
          hey where could you find a ecu from a MP3 cuz where im at i could put money that i won't find a MP3 in the junk yard, can i get one from mazda!?

nope, last i heard mazda is very strict with the exclusive parts for the MP3 and MSP i had also read that it is possible to reflash your ECU with the MP3 settings, but it requires the dealership to have an MP3 there to hook into the system that links to mazda's system. supposedly someone found a tech at a dealership that would do it for him for like $100, but under the table. i don't know if the information was correct, or if anyone has actually done it.

for those of you thinking of ECU tuning, i heard that the greddy e-manage will work. it's like $350 online, and then you'll need the harnesses. that would probably be your best bet.

Comment

You can get the injen cai, awr header(heard nothing but good things about it), and a nice catback exhaust. You'll have a nice little increase in NA power with that.
            2001 Protege LX
            Appearence: 17" Gunmetal Exel Radius, EL Protege door sills, Painted emblems, CF radio surround, changed interior lights to blue LED's.
            Performance: Black injen CAI, 2.25" Magnaflow catback
            Other: 1st's grounding kit, Kartboy Exhaust hangers

Free Desktop PC complete an offer and i'll complete one of yours or give ya $5. pm me if you do.

Comment

Originally posted by r2di2dc2do
              You can get the injen cai, awr header(heard nothing but good things about it), and a nice catback exhaust. You'll have a nice little increase in NA power with that.
              yea we'll definetely start with those 3 things. altho we're thinkin AEM for the CAI... illeisist helped me install it on my car... it was pretty simple I guess, but I duno of the installation on a pro
              -Nim
              2002 Acura RSX Type S
              Arctic Blue Pearl
              OEM Body Skirts
              OEM Spoiler
              OEM Fogs
              Golden Logos
              Window Visors
              Last But Not Least....
              ---
              ---

Comment

I think AEM only makes a short ram for our car. The only one that i know that makes a CAI is Injen and i think K&N(but theres is mad expensive)
                2001 Protege LX
                Appearence: 17" Gunmetal Exel Radius, EL Protege door sills, Painted emblems, CF radio surround, changed interior lights to blue LED's.
                Performance: Black injen CAI, 2.25" Magnaflow catback
                Other: 1st's grounding kit, Kartboy Exhaust hangers

Free Desktop PC complete an offer and i'll complete one of yours or give ya $5. pm me if you do.

Comment

Turboge didn't really have a good experience with the emanage i his MSP, but I don't know how it would fare on N/A cars. N/A gains on Proteges aren't that great though... not like on RSX=Ss. heh.
                  2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by charles
                    Turboge didn't really have a good experience with the emanage i his MSP, but I don't know how it would fare on N/A cars. N/A gains on Proteges aren't that great though... not like on RSX=Ss. heh.
                    yeah the RSX-S is pretty mod respondant. I think mostly because its been tuned down so much from the JDM version (Integra Type R) in Japan where its at 220hp stock.
                    -Nim
                    2002 Acura RSX Type S
                    Arctic Blue Pearl
                    OEM Body Skirts
                    OEM Spoiler
                    OEM Fogs
                    Golden Logos
                    Window Visors
                    Last But Not Least....
                    ---
                    ---

Comment

Originally posted by r2di2dc2do
                      I think AEM only makes a short ram for our car. The only one that i know that makes a CAI is Injen and i think K&N(but theres is mad expensive)
                      Yes, AEM makes the shorty and the Injen Makes the CAI. Its not that expensive though. About $200 or so. I think a CAI is the way to go. Its just a lil more involved on the install but not bad.
                      NIM: I may point out though, Protege's not a drag car. Speed is not its strong point. Put a nice set of coilovers or even lowering springs in that Protege and I wouldn't be suprised if your buddies protege will own you on the twisties. Be afraid.
                      Last edited by RipperSnapper; 01-14-2004, 10:43 AM.
                      " Autobots are an error I intend to correct"

Reformated Alternate Mode:
                      Midnite Blue P5 ( 5-speed manual)
                      Painted calipers
                      Injen CAI
                      Custom exhaust
                      Tein lowering springs(finally installed)

Comment

Originally posted by RipperSnapper
                        Yes, AEM makes the shorty and the Injen Makes the CAI. Its not that expensive though. About $200 or so. I think a CAI is the way to go. Its just a lil more involved on the install but not bad.
                        NIM: I may point out though, Protege's not a drag car. Speed is not its strong point. Put a nice set of coilovers or even lowering springs in that Protege and I wouldn't be suprised if your buddies protege will own you on the twisties. Be afraid.
                        hah.. I know nothing of the protege... handling, performance, etc. Its obviously not built for speed, I know. But I doubt a protege with a coilover kit or a lowered protege will touch me on the twisties... don't forget I'm not stock either

Illeisist doesn't want a drag racer anyways. He's not building his car to keep up with mine... but I mean common... who would ever go from a car at a certain level, to a car at a lower level? Its like downgrading your computer.

I personally think the protege is MUCH nicer than the neon. MUCH more reliable. MUCH more value. But hey, I'm not the driver or the owner. He says the neon is much faster, we timed them.

I guess what he really wants is the zoom zoom mazda promises in its commercials

What does a 5 spd pro redline at?? (Just gathering some info)
                        -Nim
                        2002 Acura RSX Type S
                        Arctic Blue Pearl
                        OEM Body Skirts
                        OEM Spoiler
                        OEM Fogs
                        Golden Logos
                        Window Visors
                        Last But Not Least....
                        ---
                        ---

Comment

Two things...

The MP3 ECU runs just as rich as the stock Protege, if not more so because of the advanced igniton timing. It's also a good idea to run 91 octane if you manage to track one down and use it.

Someone has tried the E-Manage on an N/A Protege set up as well. It doesn't work. The ECU will re-learn and go back to stock setting on its own and ignore the E-Manage.
                          "Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake
                          2001 Mazda Protege MP3, with Flyin' Protege Turbo Kit

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

Originally posted by StuttersC
                            Two things...

The MP3 ECU runs just as rich as the stock Protege, if not more so because of the advanced igniton timing. It's also a good idea to run 91 octane if you manage to track one down and use it.

Someone has tried the E-Manage on an N/A Protege set up as well. It doesn't work. The ECU will re-learn and go back to stock setting on its own and ignore the E-Manage.
                            I did a lil bit of research... nothing for an ecu for the pro... sux. I don't want to put a universal one in his car. Rather keep it stock. I just want the auto tranny to shift at redline during WOT.
                            -Nim
                            2002 Acura RSX Type S
                            Arctic Blue Pearl
                            OEM Body Skirts
                            OEM Spoiler
                            OEM Fogs
                            Golden Logos
                            Window Visors
                            Last But Not Least....