• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protege ES - a decent buy?

Friend has a 2000 ES for sale.
    Thinking about buying it.

145k miles, clean, maintained.

Car feels tight, gearbox (manual) is geared too low for my personal taste on the ES - for a daily beater that is.

I read a few opinions on Carsurvey.org. What is the general opinion here?

Thanks

How much?
    What colour?
    What are the tires like?

Comment

With suchlittle info you gave I could'nt give a clear cut answer. No price< shape< ect
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Sorry for that.

To clarify what info I am after:

I am not after an evaluation of this specific buy but possible problems & known issues with this model during prolonged ownership and at higher mileages.

The guy I would be buying from is a friend & good hobby mechanic.
        There are no issues with the car right now except for the fact that it "eats" H4 bulbs. Price is $2800 - tires are some Michelin with 75% life left

Comment

As far as I know, there are no known issues or specific problem areas with this particular car as long as it has been well-maintained. The bulb problem is due to the choice of bulb, not the car itself. Check out:

Happy Motoring!
          02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
          MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
          MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
          Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
          Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
          Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
          Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
          Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
          Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
          Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

I bought my 2003 for 2 grand...And I think I paid too much...but that's just an opinion...that's quite bit of mileage too isn't it?
            91 GT- Li'l Bee (under construction)
            2013 Honda Accord V6 coupe - 14.7 sec. 1/4 mile

New Thread:
            Wilyb's 91 Pro GT Rebuild: Li'l B: http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...Rebuild-Li-l-B

Old Threads:

WilyB's 93 GT rebuild worklog : http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...-93-GT-rebuild
            My FE3 worklog thread:http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...ighlight=wilyb

sigpic

Comment

My dad bought a 2002 LX brand new and he is pushing 300,000km's on it. Still drives good, he has had to replace a motor mount though.

Comment

Working...
              X