Does this story sound fishy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this story sound fishy?

Is this crazy or what. I found a blue MP3 for sale for $2500 in Georgia. However, the faulty tranny was out of the car and everything was in place and functioning.

Do not start cheering just yet. The seller added to sweeten the sell, his father decided to replace the engine, around 50k, though the engine was running fine. Why I asked? He commented, "He found a very low mileage engine at a low price." Do many people do that?

He initially wanted $2500. So I figured maybe a good deal. As I started inquiring about the cost of a tranny, labor, and all the possible missing parts, he assured me the engine was good ( he crunk it and sounds perfect).

Then after confirming all the parts, nuts, washers, bolts, etc. were available and the car would start up to verify the engine was good we locked down a deal at $1900.

However, today, I got an email stating, sorry to say, the car will not fire up (possibly due to something disconnected when the tranny was taken out). So since the car will not start up, he only wants $1100.

These are the red flags and making me more suspicious and needing some advice:

a. If I could get a low mileage MP3 engine, why would I swap out a perfectly fine one, with less than 50k for one with maybe just 15K.
    b. How if the car was not being raced, could have a totally friend 5 speed tranny? To note he stated he had a performance clutch assembly to go with the future new tranny. Plus the engine was replaced too?
    c. After stating the repair shop went out of business upon receiving his car for the tranny job, how is it the faulty tranny was not put back in.
    d. Though I was willing to take a chance and buy the car for $1900 (though he initially stated the car could be crunk to hear the engine run, though the tranny was out), I feel like I would be foolish to buy a vehicle I cannot hear it run,plus no tranny in the car, for $1100.

By the way, I saw the pics, and it looks nice, but the story and pieces of this story are mysterious, What is your take?

Sounds sketchy to me. I'd be wary of it....but that's a hell of a price. Question: are you, or do you know someone who would be, comfortable replacing the trans and/or engine? If so, I'd probably buy it, with the new trans, and do the work myself. Maybe spend a little bit more and buy the other engine too, just in case. Go look at the car first, though; if it is actually in good shape, might be worth a shot. If not, don't bother. Shop around and buy a working car instead. As to how the trans can go explodey when the car's stock, 1)the car wasn't stock when the trans blew, and any power adders were taken off; 2)said performance clutch was installed at the time, and managed to fubar the trans somehow; 3)somebody doesn't know how to drive; 4)bad luck...they can't all be perfect.
    1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

Thanks so much for your comments on the Mysterious MP3!

Thanks so much! I have seen pictures of the car. However, I am now hesitant to drive almost 175 miles to look at a car that I can not even hear it run.

Worst, when he commented, "Maybe when they removed the tranny, they disconnected something, thus causing the engine not to start anymore."

Hmmm...did he fry the ECU as well? The initial it can start up and you can hear it run for $1900, sounded better than, take it as is for $1000. At least I leave knowing a have a good engine, ECU, AC, Power Steering etc for the additional $800. To mention, all of those systems should have remained connected in the tranny removal. I will try to upload some pics of the car. By the way, bringing the car almost $200 miles on a flatbed can be costly. I may try USHIP.com

The seller should contact me today to get some more info on the Mysterious MP3

Comment

Oops forgot to mention, me and a friend could do the work (to answer your question), but with a missing tranny (along with probably a few unaccounted for nuts, bolts, washers, etc.), a no start engine, I do not know how much money I will be in for just in parts.

Concerning the performance clutch, he mentioned he would throw in the new uninstalled performance clutch when I buy the car. Hmmm..I wonder what he had in mind for the car, though he said it was not hotrodded.

Comment

He probably disconnected the neutral safety switch.

Comment

Neutral safety switch? On the clutch pedal? What makes you think that?

If it were me, and that's the car I wanted, since it needs parts anyways, I'd get it and do a KL, BP, or FE3 swap. People spend huge amounts of money squeezing maybe 20 extra HP out of the FSDE. Just not worth it. Even going turbo, I'd do a swap.
            sigpic
            1992 Familia GT-X
            1988 323 GTX
            2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
            2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Originally posted by DuRWooD View Post
              Neutral safety switch? On the clutch pedal? What makes you think that?

No, the switch on the transmission. There are two. In the lower right hand corner of this picture.

The one mounted on the front of the trans is the switch that turns the back up lights on. The other one is a neutral safety switch and I'm pretty sure the motor won't crank if it's unplugged.

Comment

With the car being hundreds of miles away, towing expenses, etc. paralleled with the car having no tranny, and a non-starting engine, I am too weary to gamble $1,100 in these harsh economic times. I appreciate your advice.

Comment

Originally posted by XelderX View Post
                  No, the switch on the transmission. There are two. In the lower right hand corner of this picture.

The one mounted on the front of the trans is the switch that turns the back up lights on. The other one is a neutral safety switch and I'm pretty sure the motor won't crank if it's unplugged.
                  Ah, my bad. I didn't know what that was for. I don't even remember dealing with it when I swapped the transmission on my old BJ.
                  sigpic
                  1992 Familia GT-X
                  1988 323 GTX
                  2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Just one thing, I could not possibly plug the neutral safety switch because the tranny is lying near a pile of hay. So I am wondering how can I start the engine. Could I make the system close loop by putting a paper clip in the harness to simulate it being plugged up. If the engine is fried like the tranny, I have to say good by to the $1,100 cash I give him.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but looking at that picture again, it appears one connector is for reverse, and the other is the speed sensor for non-abs models.
                      sigpic
                      1992 Familia GT-X
                      1988 323 GTX
                      2014 Civic Touring

Comment

You are probably correct

Comment

Working...
                        X