Engine got soaked, won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine got soaked, won't start

Son drove 99 Protege through flooding - no way around it - drove for awhile after, to let things dry out. Now, can't get the car to start. Something obviously didn't like the bath, but where do I start looking? Standard transmission, will push start and run fine. I'm Supermom with a little mechanical knowledge, would like to rule out the simple things before we break down and take it to the shop.

You can push start it, but it don't start by itself? I'd probably have the starter tested.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk.

Comment

or check under the distributor cap if equipped or might have water down the spark plug holes.
      2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
      1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Originally posted by nerd racing View Post
        or check under the distributor cap if equipped or might have water down the spark plug holes.
        Can you jump start it?

Throw the cables in the trunk and go for a long drive, obviously being sure not to turn the engine off until you're in a safe place. If the sustained heat doesn't dry everything out then it may take some intervention. My experience with water is that it takes time to get everything dry.

Does it run rough now? Make sure the spark plug holes and distributor cap are dry, then start looking at other plugs that may have water in them. I pressure washed my car a while back and got water in the throttle position sensor plug (tps) and spark plug holes. The remedy was to unplug everything and let is sit for a while with the engine warm. Worked fine.

Water in the starter may cause this. I don't know.
        Does this car have a distributor cap?
        Last edited by 1st Gen; 09-01-2011, 05:38 PM.
        1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
        1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
        2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
        1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Starter solenoid is probably full of water, and may be cooked. Does it make any noise when you try and start it with the key? May want to soak the top of the starter with some penetrating oil to blast out the water, then you may have to give it a tap with a hammer to free it up. Once you get it to go once, turn it off and do it again a few times to free it up some more.
          sigpic
          1992 Familia GT-X
          1988 323 GTX
          2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
          2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Working...
          X