PCM Change/Modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCM Change/Modification

Hello I own a 2002 Mazda Protege 5 ES. I understand that the Mazda MP3 has 10 more horsepower than the regular 2.0 liter. I have spoken to the dealer to find out how this was done and they said with a different PCM. The cost of the MP3 PCM for the standard 5 speed is around 1500 bucks up here. I have this site that allows you to download and reflash your PCM to the latest available firmware I guess. If I was able to to find out what one is for the Mazda MP3 with a 5 speed stick, could I just flash it with the MP3 file and have it change mine instead of replacing the existing PCM?

http://mazdaserviceinfo.com/PCM.aspx

I don't know about downloading and flashing the PCM. Didn't the MP3 using a Racing Beat exhaust? I thought it did, but I could be wrong. This could be the real difference.

Edit: You can get an MP3 ECU for $295 at autoecms.com. Part Number: FS9N-18-881 (remove the "-" to use the site's search function)

Also, ask goldstar about the exhaust system, I think he installed it on his car.
    Last edited by irishkev90; 02-04-2012, 07:16 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=irishkev90;737402]I don't know about downloading and flashing the PCM. Didn't the MP3 using a Racing Beat exhaust? I thought it did, but I could be wrong. This could be the real difference.[/QUOTE

That was only one of the differences. Go to:

And could a mod for this section or a supermod or admin move this thread to the BJ forum? Thank you.

Happy Motoring!
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Hi goldstar! Hahaha, you replied just as I was editing my post

Comment

Sorry about that.

Happy Motoring!
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

thread moved
            "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
            -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
            *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
            172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
            New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

I know the protege pcm can be flashed to mp3 spec, I've net heard of anyone doing it themselves though, just at the dealership.
              sigpic
              1992 Familia GT-X
              1988 323 GTX
              2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
              2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Type that part number into eBay and you'll find the guy that flashes regular PCMs to MP3 spec for $150. You have to send him your ECU then he'll send it back after flashing. Or he'll send you a flashed ECU with a core charge and when you send him yours he'll refund the core charge.

Comment

Further Thoughts

After changing to the MP3 PCM and eliminating the VTCS (assuming that is planned), even more HP and torque can be obtained from the powerplant with the addition of a single bolt-on and a few judicious tweaks.

When Racing beat (RB) was working with Mazda USA in the development of the MP3, they had not yet produced their cat back exhaust system and therefore fitted a low restriction muffler (axle back) in place of OEM. By fitting the current RB cat back system even more HP can be obtained over the original MP3 spec. For more information, go to:

For a list of potential tweaks and an estimated HP increase as a result of their implementation, go to:

Have fun.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Working...
                  X