Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where the heck are the fuel filter and pump located???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where the heck are the fuel filter and pump located???

Maybe I'm blind but I can't seem to find where my fuel filter is located ,One other question someone told me that my fuel pump is located in the gas tank. Is this true? I still can't figure out why my car is acting the way it has been. A friend suggested that it might be starving for gas. I'm getting desprate & the problem is slowly getting worse.

Last edited by goldstar; 04-07-2012, 01:02 PM. Reason: Incomplete title.
    Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Google 2003 mazda protege FSM and get funky with it...Catch a man a fish he eats for one day, teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime
    91 GT- Li'l Bee (under construction)
    2013 Honda Accord V6 coupe - 14.7 sec. 1/4 mile

New Thread:
    Wilyb's 91 Pro GT Rebuild: Li'l B: http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...Rebuild-Li-l-B

Old Threads:

WilyB's 93 GT rebuild worklog : http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...-93-GT-rebuild
    My FE3 worklog thread:http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...ighlight=wilyb

sigpic

Comment

You'll find the FSM and a part number catalogue.

Comment

Well it would seem that my car doesn't really have a filter but a screen, it would also seem that these things never need to be replaced unless your swaping out the fuel pump. Which is IN the tank. This isn't looking good at all. Does anyone have any other ideas? Before I sell my first unborn to take the tank off?
        Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

Originally posted by norwood1026 View Post
          Maybe I'm blind but I can't seem to find where my fuel filter is located ,One other question someone told me that my fuel pump is located in the gas tank. Is this true? I still can't figure out why my car is acting the way it has been. A friend suggested that it might be starving for gas. I'm getting desprate & the problem is slowly getting worse.
          Before you remove the fuel tank to work on the pump, and filter, make sure that your car really is "starving for gas" and not just because it's been suggested by a friend.

Well it would seem that my car doesn't really have a filter but a screen, it would also seem that these things never need to be replaced unless your swaping out the fuel pump. Which is IN the tank. This isn't looking good at all. Does anyone have any other ideas? Before I sell my first unborn to take the tank off?
          Before you take the tank off make sure that fuel starvation and a faulty pump is truly the problem. Are you getting a MIL and, if so, have you checked for codes?

Happy Motoring!
          Last edited by goldstar; 04-07-2012, 01:18 PM.
          02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
          MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
          MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
          Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
          Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
          Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
          Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
          Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
          Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
          Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
            Before you remove the fuel tank to work on the pump, and filter, make sure that your car really is "starving for gas" and not just because it's been suggested by a friend.

Before you take the tank off make sure that fuel starvation and a faulty pump is truly the problem. Are you getting a MIL and, if so, have you checked for codes?

Happy Motoring!
            About a week ago I changed out my air filter & in my haste I didn't close the box all the way down. I was trying to get to work on time. The car started jerking & wanted to stall. Well I got to work & saw what I did wrong. I fixed it. The engine light is still on so I took it to the local auto parts store. Two codes cam up 1. Catalytic converter is bad. Not planning on replacing that anytime soon, things are too pricy! 2. The engine was getting too much fuel. Would that not count as part of the airbox problem that I mentioned above? The car DID have this problem BEFORE I changed the air filter out.
            Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

I don't think the open airbox would cause the problem. Any air getting in through the opening is getting in before the airflow sensor, therefore it would still get measured and the correct amount of fuel would be injected. Assuming the injectors are working fine, your problem lies with the pump, filter/screen, pressure regulator, the fuel lines themselves or a bad sensor. Okay, that's more than I expected to list, doesn't really narrow it down much

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
                I don't think the open airbox would cause the problem. Any air getting in through the opening is getting in before the airflow sensor, therefore it would still get measured and the correct amount of fuel would be injected. Assuming the injectors are working fine, your problem lies with the pump, filter/screen, pressure regulator, the fuel lines themselves or a bad sensor. Okay, that's more than I expected to list, doesn't really narrow it down much

Your no fun It only does this under acceleration but lately it's beeing feeling slugish around 4000 RPMs. This is really getting to me if I can't find the problem it might be time to get ready of my baby.
                Last edited by norwood1026; 04-08-2012, 12:22 PM.
                Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

About a week ago I changed out my air filter & in my haste I didn't close the box all the way down. I was trying to get to work on time. The car started jerking & wanted to stall. Well I got to work & saw what I did wrong. I fixed it. The engine light is still on so I took it to the local auto parts store. Two codes cam up 1. Catalytic converter is bad. Not planning on replacing that anytime soon, things are too pricy! 2. The engine was getting too much fuel. Would that not count as part of the airbox problem that I mentioned above? The car DID have this problem BEFORE I changed the air filter out.
                  Wouldn't a clogged exhaust or catalytic convertor cause these exact symptoms? I'd take a closer look at those codes. What were the exact P codes?
                  2002 Protege DX, 1974 VW Standard Beetle

Comment

Originally posted by vw.fe2o3 View Post
                    Wouldn't a clogged exhaust or catalytic convertor cause these exact symptoms? I'd take a closer look at those codes. What were the exact P codes?
                    What exhaust? I don't have one it's been dead sence I got the car. Not sure about cat if that would cause it oe not. I listed the codes were above. It was doing this before the codes popped up though.
                    Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

This might sound like a stupid question but do any of those fuel injection cleaners work? It might be a temp fix from what I understand.
                      I know some shops can clean your system out or is that just a load of bunk?
                      Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

What exhaust? I don't have one it's been dead sence I got the car. Not sure about cat if that would cause it oe not. I listed the codes were above. It was doing this before the codes popped up though.
                        Bad cat... 2nd paragraph here: (it won't let me copy/paste)
                        http://www.aa1car.com/library/converter.htm

"lack of power, rough idle, stalling, etc" A clogged cat will bog down and stall the engine out.

You posted a quick phrase on what the codes are, but do you have the actual P code that was scanned? There are multiple codes that pertain to cats underperforming and many others for fuel air mix. The open air box probably wouldn't trip a code on its own if the filter was in place. When you say the exhaust is "dead", what does that mean exactly? No muffler? You have cats, so there is an exhaust pipe to some degree, no?

Comment

Bad cat... 2nd paragraph here: (it won't let me copy/paste)
                          http://www.aa1car.com/library/converter.htm

"lack of power, rough idle, stalling, etc"

You posted a quick phrase on what the codes are, but do you have the actual P code that was scanned? There are multiple codes that pertain to cats underperforming and many others for fuel air mix. The open air box probably wouldn't trip a code on its own if the filter was in place. When you say the exhaust is "dead", what does that mean exactly? No muffler? You have cats, so there is an exhaust pipe to some degree, no?

Not sure what a P code is. I took it to Autozone & they scanned it for me. From the headers back the exhaust has been gone sence I bought the car. The exhaust ends at the muffler. I haven't got around to getting a new one put on yet. Money is tight here of late Just trying to keep it up & running right now.
                          Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

Not sure what a P code is. I took it to Autozone & they scanned it for me. From the headers back the exhaust has been gone sence I bought the car. The exhaust ends at the muffler. I haven't got around to getting a new one put on yet. Money is tight here of late Just trying to keep it up & running right now.
                            This is a general list of obd 2 codes that can trip the check engine light.
                            http://www.troublecodes.net/OBD2/Pcodes.shtml

That's fine that they read the code with the $50 reader, but don't take their advice on how to diagnose them. Sometimes they give you a little printout on receipt paper that has the code on it. If not, I'd get them to give you that data. Then you can go here and see what the codes generally mean:
                            http://www.obd-codes.com/ or just google that code and it usually points to a page at that site that can get you started.

The code that is read does not necessarily mean that component needs replacing. It could mean a related part is causing it. See if you can find those codes and post them here. I've had various codes on many makes and models and some of them absolutely can affect driveability and performance.

Comment

This is a general list of obd 2 codes that can trip the check engine light.
                              http://www.troublecodes.net/OBD2/Pcodes.shtml

That's fine that they read the code with the $50 reader, but don't take their advice on how to diagnose them. Sometimes they give you a little printout on receipt paper that has the code on it. If not, I'd get them to give you that data. Then you can go here and see what the codes generally mean:
                              http://www.obd-codes.com/ or just google that code and it usually points to a page at that site that can get you started.

The code that is read does not necessarily mean that component needs replacing. It could mean a related part is causing it. See if you can find those codes and post them here. I've had various codes on many makes and models and some of them absolutely can affect driveability and performance.

I'll go back & check that out thanks. What about those fuel injection cleaners? Got any info on them?
                              Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

Working...
                              X