Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2002 P5 Do-over

Hey all.
    Posted last night on the new member forum.
    Just got my Silver 02 P5 from the wife (after 10 years and 200,000+ miles), and from the kids (after 6 years of beating the hell out of the interior). I've never worked on car stuff before but I am reasonably handy. Target is to restore the exterior and interior to stock condition, and start bit by bit to learn, and add / change / improve the under the skin stuff to improve MPG and performance and keep her running smoothly and efficiently for me. I'm starting with new plugs, leads, filters, fluids and the DIY airflow mod that is explained in one of these threads. Are there any other easy and obvious improvements / refurbishments I can make over the next two - three weeks to take my first steps to restoration / upgrade.

next question would something like a "MP3 m2 Performance Exhaust Header" (ebay) which is compatible allegedly, actually help in themselves at all or are things like this pointless without engine mods aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by newcastle View Post
      Hey all.
      Posted last night on the new member forum.
      I'm starting with new plugs, leads, filters, fluids and the DIY airflow mod that is explained in one of these threads. Are there any other easy and obvious improvements / refurbishments I can make over the next two - three weeks to take my first steps to restoration / upgrade.
      What you have listed is an excellent start. Additionally, you might want to consider replacing your stock exhaust system with an aftermarket catback design. I highly recommend the Racing Beat cat back exhaust system and you can find more information about it at their website. I have one installed on my own car.

The suspension system can also be upgraded with heavy duty shocks and springs and larger diameter stabilizer bars, front and rear. The P5 is a good handling car to begin with but the addition of aftermarket suspension components will really make it shine.

Happy Motoring!
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Tire Size

The stock wheel/tire size on the P5 is 16 x6", +50 mm offset with 195/50-16 tires. A popular and common upgrade to improve handling is to replace the tires with wider tread 205/50-16 types. According to the tire calc, this results in a speedo error of 1.689% too slow - at 60 mph indicated, actual speed is 59 mph - a fairly negligible error.

I would not advise going to a 205/45-16 tire even though the speedo error is only 1.763% too fast, as this size tire requires a minimum 7" wide wheel acccording to the Tire and Rim Association (minimum wheel width is determined not only by tread width but also by aspect ratio).

Happy Motoring!
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

Did a bit of investigation and that looks doable. Can I ask and please bear in mind that I'm now only TWO days into being a car guy, but how does the improved exhaust system improve performance and / or economy? Is it simply a factor of the imporved flow means the engine is not having to push the gasses out so hard?

Comment

Originally posted by newcastle View Post
            Did a bit of investigation and that looks doable. Can I ask and please bear in mind that I'm now only TWO days into being a car guy, but how does the improved exhaust system improve performance and / or economy? Is it simply a factor of the imporved flow means the engine is not having to push the gasses out so hard?
            The short answer to your question is that an improved exhaust system increases performance and fuel economy for two reasons: it increases the volumetric efficiency (VE) of the engine and reduces pumping losses (a component of friction HP). Since you're new to the game, for a complete technical explanation of how an improved exhaust system as well as other mods can increase BHP output, check out:

Happy Motoring!

Comment

There is obviously alot of knowledge round here. Glad I found this website. Thank you.

Comment

We're glad you found it, too. Thank you for joining.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

So i was super keen to get started but after reading alot on here I realized that half the point of improving is actually noting the amount of improvement. So I have to wait until I can accurately judge existing MPG performance before changing anything. Measured 0 - 60 today in a haphazard manner with tank about 3/4 full but that came out at 11 seconds flat, which, while it isn't a super car, isn't that bad for a jalopy with 200k miles on it. It will however, take a couple of weeks before I have an accurate economy figure so I'll just have to wait before starting anything. Aaargh!

Comment

Working...
                  X