Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A/C light flickers-things that make me go Hmmmm..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C light flickers-things that make me go Hmmmm..

Hello, you guys helped me a lot find out what kind of stereo that I have in a previous thread so I though I would throw up another mystifying issue I have with my 03 Protege. If the A/C is on '1' it's fine. If I turn it higher it'll flicker on and off. Sometimes it stays on and the A/C is good to go, others the A/C light stays off and nothing. Anyone have an idea what that means? I tried jiggling the switch to see if it was loose or anything, but nothing seemed to help.

Thanks!

My fan switch crapped the bed a while ago (still haven't replaced it yet) and it only works on "1" now and A/C light will stay on. If I move it to 2, 3 or 4 it turns off and the fan stops working. I thought at first it was the resistor pack, so I replaces that. Didn't fix it. Took everything apart and tested the switch and found out it's bad.

This is a 1998 Protege with the manual (cable) controls so I'm not sure how similar the fan switch will be, but it's worth checking I think.

Comment

Thanks, since I'm going to do the brakes tomorrow, I might as well get a switch and just swap it out. Won't hurt. Thanks. I'll keep everyone posted.

Comment

theres 3 things u can do. replace the switch, take about the switch plug one wire at a time and thighten each connection and ad a little dielectirc grease, and also change the fan resister under the fan unit under the dash.

Comment

Just went to the autoparts store and they could pull anything up. Had them search A/C resistor, relay, switch, and solenoid. Guess I'll have to hit up on-line shopping source next.

Comment

PM sent.
            2002 Protege DX, 1974 VW Standard Beetle

Comment

the knobs in the hvac unit control a couple cables that determine position of some gears that control fan speed. its possible the teeth on the gears are off. is there any change in resistance/noise/etc when turning the knobs, which may indicate the switch or cables aren't operating normally?

its more likely that the hvac control unit itself is defective, in which case the part number is BL8W-61-190F (amber lights). this is an updated part, intented to fix the flickering blower switch. see this TSB: http://www.protegefaq.net/tsb/07-005-03.html

to tackle something like this you'll have to get friendly with getting to the damn hvac control unit, which includes removing the radio bezel. believe me when i say it is a little difficult, but annoyingly more so laborious. once you have the control unit, it is marked with a type code and a revision. the latest is revision "F" as seen in the OEM part number. info thanks to forum member, theMAN.

the part is available at crossoverauto and your dealer, but its a couple hundred dollars and you probably want to exhaust other possible solutions before biting the bullet.

an easy thing you CAN do is peek in the wheel well near the radio/hvac unit. you should see some white/beige-ish plastic gears. here is where the cables connect to. they are held on by tension clips if i remember correctly. there are some how-tos out there in other forums, i will attempt to find one that i used.

Comment

Working...
              X