Mazdaspeed Protege Help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mazdaspeed Protege Help...

Okay, so this is what happened on the day it died. My friend who lives right next door to me needed my car to pick up someone and he asked for it. Stupidly, I lend my car to him (which I seriously regret doing so). Anyways, I was heading to fish with my buddies and told him to give my dad the keys. When I got home it was dark and so I was going to park it in my garage. When I started the engine, there was this very loud roar seemingly coming from the passenger side of the engine. It seemed like my engine was going to blow! Turned it off and turned it back on and same loud roar. Me thinking it was fine to drive it into the garage since it's only 30 yards away, I drove it. When I drove it, it was hesitating and sounded like a lot of air was getting sucked in as I put my foot on the gas. When I got by the garage door, it just died on me. Tried starting it, and it wouldn't cranks. Just one click and nothing (ended up having to push it into the garage). Next day, I checked the car and the only odd thing I noticed was that the coolant tank was empty... which I filled it up the day before it died. When I tried starting it, got nothing but the sound of the starter solenoid. I'm not really a expert in cars but I think the problem may be the water pump..? Wouldn't the water pump prevent the timing belt to operate and knowing Mazda, it won't turn on if the timing belt isn't working? Any ideas, suggestions, or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Btw: I asked my friend if he did anything, he said that he drove it cleanly but I doubt it because the person he picked up told me he was redlining it... I just don't know how bad he did it as now he tries avoiding me as much as possible.

Friend, eh? That blows, man. Hope you get it fixed/figured out!
    Team Fail Motorsports

That's just the nature of the beach.

Comment

He's more like my dad's close friend's son. But thanks!

Comment

Describe this roar. The timing belt and water pump are on two different belts. If your timing belt was broken, the engine would turn over, but would sound funny, more like a constant sound rather than cranking. You have something electrical going on, or a seized engine if it won't turn over at all. Is there oil in it?
        sigpic
        1992 Familia GT-X
        1988 323 GTX
        2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
        2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Yes, there was still oil in it after it died. The roar sounded like an engine with open headers but on the passenger side of the engine. If I can recall, I remember hearing some sort of fast beat ticking in it too. Thanks for explaining the difference between the two belts too. Appreciate it much! I also once pulled the valve cover off and the timing belt still looks nice and tight.

Comment

So it won't crank then? A roar and stall could be caused by a broken coupler on the charge piping, or a large crack in the piping, intercooler, turbo, manifold, etc. It would still crank with those issues though. If you have an obdii reader, pull the codes.
            sigpic
            1992 Familia GT-X
            1988 323 GTX
            2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Nope, nothing but the sound of the starter solenoid clicking. I don't have an obdii reader but when you said the engine might have seized, do you mean the engine might be locked?

Comment

Starter clicks repeatedly, or just once?
                sigpic
                1992 Familia GT-X
                1988 323 GTX
                2014 Civic Touring

Comment

On the day it died, it only clicked once but after, it clicks repeatedly.

Comment

Starter isn't getting enough power. Check your battery voltage.
                    sigpic
                    1992 Familia GT-X
                    1988 323 GTX
                    2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Okay, I'll check that tomorrow. We'll see how things go. thanks!

Comment

Sounds like that's not your only issue though.
                        sigpic
                        1992 Familia GT-X
                        1988 323 GTX
                        2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Yeah, I feel like there is more than one problem. You think it can be a blown piston? I think that if he was redlining the car so much, it can be possible as to why my coolant tank went empty too.

Comment

Working...
                          X