Big mess, 2 codes, recent accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big mess, 2 codes, recent accident

So heres my story. A few weeks ago I noticed the intake hose has some holes in it (in the corrugated) which ive heard was a common problem. Oddly enough no codes had been thrown. I ordered a replacement, and while waiting for it to get here I wrapped the hose in electric tape to seal the holes for the time being. The tape started to melt, and then a code was thrown (po171 system too lean) I retaped the thing with duct tape, and reset to get rid of the code. I then got my replacement hose and hooked it up. However after I had fixed the hole with tape, i noticed gas milage increased slightly, but every so often while idling, rpms would drop to 200ish. Car never stalled out completely though. About a week ago I was in a small accident (some lady tried to make a last minute left turn from across 2 lanes going down a one way street. she ended up hitting the passengers side, and we went up 2 curbs. I inspected what I could, and found no damage, and the car ran fine. Now a week later, check engine light comes on while driving home, stop to get it scanned and its throwing the p0171 and also p0455 (system too lean, and something evap related. Ive read up on the common issues for those, but I find it odd they both came on at the same time, after an accident, and with the idle drop. Ive only owned the car for 9 months now, and dont know alot about mazdas. Do you think the codes could be related? and also, there is a small hose port off the throttle body I recently noticed that has no hose connected to it, nor has it ever since owning the car. I didnt even realize it till I replaced the mail intake hose. Ill try to get a pic of that up a bit later. Should there be something there? I couldnt find any loose hoses dangling around. Any thoughts on the issue? Im concered that the 2 codes are somehow related.

P0455 is no purge flow or large leak detected. Check the Evap canister and related hoses for cracks (possible from collision). Smell fuel vapors at all? This is why you never just visually inspect a vehicle after a wreck, take it to a shop to be put on a lift to check everything out.

system too lean code could be still leaking from somewhere else or could have cracked a hose when you jumped the curb. Hard to say. Did you clean the MAF sensor? Try cleaning it with some MAF cleaner (CRC makes a good product I use at work). From there its hunting for vacuum leaks and further diagnosis.

Good luck, sorry to hear of the misfortunes.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by D323 View Post
      P0455 is no purge flow or large leak detected. Check the Evap canister and related hoses for cracks (possible from collision). Smell fuel vapors at all? This is why you never just visually inspect a vehicle after a wreck, take it to a shop to be put on a lift to check everything out.

system too lean code could be still leaking from somewhere else or could have cracked a hose when you jumped the curb. Hard to say. Did you clean the MAF sensor? Try cleaning it with some MAF cleaner (CRC makes a good product I use at work). From there its hunting for vacuum leaks and further diagnosis.

Good luck, sorry to hear of the misfortunes.
      I have not smelled fuel at all. The car is going in Monday to have the damages repaired. I will also schedule an inspection to have this looked into. I the mean time ill check for cracked hoses

Comment

Ive heard the intake manifold gaskets are prone to cracking. Try to spray some carb cleaner around that area and see if your idle changes. I had that code pop up on my mpv and it was the intake gasket.
        1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler View Post
          I have not smelled fuel at all. The car is going in Monday to have the damages repaired. I will also schedule an inspection to have this looked into. I the mean time ill check for cracked hoses
          Good luck with the repairs. I recently had the P0455 code as well, and mine was due to the vapor canister vent valve being seized open.

Comment

Working...
          X