Is it the blower motor fan switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it the blower motor fan switch?

So, the A/C works when the fan blower switch is in position '1'. Move it to '2' or higher and the A/C shuts down. Just wanna make sure it's the fan blower switch before ordering one. Pretty sure it's acting like other vehicles when the rheostat in the switch goes south, usually making the higher fan speeds inop. Thanks in advance.

2002 Protege DX
    Vail, AZ

It's actually a resistor that's causing the problem:

Mazda changed the circuit design because of this TSB:

J.

Comment

Could be the resistor pack, but I switched mine out and didn't fix anything. Took my control unit out and tested the switch and it only worked in position 1. I need to get a new switch.

This is a 1998 BH, your problem may be the resistor pack, but don't rule out the switch until you know for sure.

HTC Droid DNA

Comment

Disassembled the switch and cleaned up the contacts and di-electric greased it back up. Another success story. Glad it wasn't an expensive repair.

2002 Protege DX
        Vail, AZ

Comment

Been a while, but glad to hear you got it sorted.

Comment

Well, my step daughter's car has developed another issue with the a/c system. I'm certain, it's the switch contacts again, but I walk in the door after work to find my wife and step daughter's grandma talking with the stealership about the car's estimate (at the dealership apparently) of $1295. They say the 'controller' needs replacing (basically the entire switch set portion of the dash, told the engine electric fan is working intermittently, and the low side a/c hose is shot. My wife doesn't want the car to break down with her daughter and 1 yr old son stranded in the AZ heat, so my attempts to talk them out of a stealership robbery has failed. I was able to ask the service tech if they at least troubleshot the fan with direct 12v to rule out a connection or power supply issue as the cause of it cutting out. Was told they have to tap on the fan to make it work at times. As for the 'controller', I'm certain I could replace/clean the one $30 switch again and fix that issue. Aggravated.
            2002 Protege DX
            Vail, AZ

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but "search" led me here first. There seems to be a pattern with this this time of year (look at all the post dates)!!!! I'm having this problem with my '98 Pro. No blower motor in any position, but a/c compressor and fans operate at all 4 "on" positions. Swapped out resistors ($2.00 at the bone yard I go to), no change in the problem. The blower motor blows at max speed when connected directly to battery. I'll change out the switch itself, that's all I have left.

Comment

Switch went bad in my '98. Still haven't replaced it. It works in position 1, so I just jumped the pins together to bypass the resistor pack. Now it's either full blast or off, no in between.

Comment

Working...
                X